A new royal start

Options

Comments

• QueenJess
    QueenJess Posts: 3,690 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options

Actually managed a reasonable night of sleep last night.  Not been sleeping well for about a week now (for apparently no reason).  Really hope I am back to sleeping again as I don’t function well on little sleep.  Had a lay in this morning whilst DH looked after DS.  Finally got up and decided I needed to achieve some things today and so changed all the beds and did a load of washing.  Then put away all the dry clothes and did a quick tidy.  Really behind on all the cleaning after being ill and all out of a routine now DS is back at nursery. Going to have to catch up slowly I think. Made a start today by cleaning the mirrors and the upstairs windows.  Also sewed up another sock (they seem to continually be sprouting holes at the moment).

Made some flapjacks for me and DH, then made different ones for DS with some overripe bananas from an internet recipe.  I really hope he likes them as he is addicted to the expensive oaty bars you get in the shops and despite my best previous efforts to make very similar ones myself, he always refused to eat them.  Hopefully, these will be a hit and then will save me a bit of money! He seemed to like it, but he's flakey and might change his mind..

Wrote most the shopping list for next week whilst I was waiting for the flapjacks to cook.  Will check it on Monday before DH goes on Tuesday for the other things we may run out of like fruit/bread etc.  It is looking quite long… I really hope we can get it all for under £100.  Although I’d like it to be much cheaper, I’m taking it slowly and hoping that meal planning, no wastage and batch cooking will get me most the way there.  I will be making 9 dinners though rather than 7 (including one sneaky veggie meal) and my freezer is looking pretty empty (aside for way too much ice cream!).

Had a rifle through the cupboards and discovered a pack of couscous which is near the best before date.  DH doesn’t consider it to be proper food *sigh* and DS isn’t that keen.  I am thinking I could make myself a lot of cheap lunches with some frozen veg.  Will scour the internet for a bit of inspiration, although I am perfectly happy to eat the same lunch all week anyway.

Dinner was spag bol from the freezer followed by the last of the bread and butter pudding (everyone was too full last night to have any).

Not much money-making activity today, but did get paid 30p for a survey I did a few days ago.  It all helps I guess!

DS has also caught a cold and is looking a bit sorry for himself (when he thinks he can get extra attention).  I know these things are inevitable at nursery/school, but since they are meant to be in really small groups, doing lots of handwashing etc, it doesn’t really fill me with confidence that they would hold back the spread of CV19.  He’s only been back 4 days.  At least I know when he’s really ill as he’ll stop scoffing everything in sight, which hasn’t happened.

Bit of stream of consciousness posting there!  Hopefully, I’ll continue to be organised tomorrow and then back to hitting the finances next week.

2024 decluttering: 7,360 ⭐️🥉⭐️🏅🏅🥈⭐️🏅🥇🏅⭐️🏅🏅
    May mini kitchen declutter challenge: 5/25
    2024 decluttering goals: 🥉3,000 🥈4,000 🥇5,000 💎12,000 🏆 20,000
  • helensbiggestfan
    Options
    Well done, you are going great guns.  It's always nice to find money you've forgotten about.  
  • MagicCat
    MagicCat Posts: 390 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello, just popping in to your diary from the debt free wannabe board. I love the way you've split out your mortgage and the overpayments. We're not in place to overpay at the moment but I'd love to be working on it - my DH isn't so keen though, like yours he sees it as cheap debt so doesn't see the point - I'm wondering if doing something similar to you would help! 

It must be a strange feeling knowing redundancy is coming up, but such a great opportunity to have a career break and be with your DS. My SIL did a two year sabbatical when her children were little and she always says it was the best decision she could have made.

I totally sympathise with difficult nursery drop offs - my eldest has been known to lie on the ground screaming and refusing to go in (he loved it once he was there though), it breaks your heart. It's hard for them going back after a break, hope your DS is more settled next week.
    Mortgage December 2023: TBC

Credit card debt (extension cost) Dec 2023: £9786

Fashion on the Ration 2024: 0/66 coupons

He said not 'Thou shalt not be tempested, thou shalt not be travailed, thou shalt not be dis-eased'; but he said, 'Thou shalt not be overcome.' Julian of Norwich
  • QueenJess
    edited 6 September 2020 at 6:52PM
    Options

Welcome, @MagicCat .  I love that after I paid a lot off the mortgage (mostly due to a legacy), my DH started to realise my way was better and his new aim is to catch me up  :smile: So if you split it that way, your DH might realise it is better and join in.  I know the nursery thing will get better as I’ve had it before when we first sent him, but it just feels so horrible..  In fact, when we sent him at 13 months, it went on weeks and weeks and weeks.  Nursery kept telling me he was absolutely fine.  Then one day he thought I had gone (but I was outside putting on my shoes) and he was as happy as Larry.  Little so and so!  I didn’t worry after that!

I just keep thinking this is temporary for him to be there so much (although we’ve reduced his hours so he’s only there for a school day now) and he will get lots of time with me soon.

I am really looking forward to having time out.  Sick of the bullying and politics which I take no interest in and really want to spend quality time with DS.  I’m really quite independent (hence the way we split our finances), so not sure how I will deal with having none of my own income.  On the plus side, I have 100% control of the joint account and all the joint expenditure, so I will have something to obsess over!

DS’s cold is slowly getting better.  I am plying him with warm milk and getting him to rest as much as a three-year-old can.  I realised the new nursery rules mean they have to stay away with any illness, so not sure whether he’ll be better for nursery tomorrow.  Saying that he seemed to have a miraculous recovery this afternoon and was in all sorts of mischief, so I think it’s safe to say he’s feeling a lot better!

Apart from looking after DS, of course, I tried to catch up on housework stuff.  Did more washing and putting dry clothes away (I only use the dryer for towels, otherwise they go all scratchy), more tidying and cleaned all the downstairs windows/patio doors.  I also finished rearranging the two very small freezers so I know exactly what I have and can find it all.  I have a whole shelf free and ready for batch cooking :)

Beef roast for dinner (yum) and I made my own yorkshire puddings which were lovely.  I can’t believe I’ve never tried making any before!  I put the leftover ones in the freezer and will see how they fare.  Even DH said that was the best beef roast he ever had!  Plum cake, ice cream or chocolate chip muffins (depending on tastes) were all available from the freezer for pudding.  Mountain of washing up done and you’d never know I cooked anything from the sparkling sides in the kitchen.

I think plying DH and DS with homemade flapjacks and offering DS snacks before he realises he is hungry is working.  We need no expensive branded snacks for DS this week, which is a miracle!  I will have to keep making flapjacks for me and DH as DH also eats the oaty bars as he says they are much healthier than the sugar-laden ones you get in the supermarket and are really nice.  So need to keep his consumption down too!  I put very little butter and only enough honey to stick the flapjacks together.  All the rest is oats and dried fruit, so DH considers these to be healthy enough for his consumption.  On the other side of the spectrum, I put a tiny amount of chocolate chips in DS’s flapjacks and therefore he considers these to be a naughty treat and worthy of eating.

Wow.  Totally forgot I had an item just sat there on the Bay of E for months and it just sold!  Only about £3 profit, but that can go straight to the mortgage fund.  Must go through my pile to list some more.  Only small bits and pieces, but it all helps.

End of the week already… where does the time go?!  Also another waffly post I’m afraid :smile:

• QueenJess
    Options
    I don't know why my smilies keep going insane and not in line with the text.  It is very annoying.  If anyone knows, please let me in on the secret!
  • QueenJess
    edited 7 September 2020 at 6:58PM
    Options

Kept DS at home today and he drove me mad all day. He's definitely better and can go back to nursery tomorrow.

Didn't anything done today as I attempted to work and do childcare at the same time, which was never going to work.  Did manage to do a load of washing and put away the dry clothes and some other general tidying.

Had some apples which didn't taste that nice to eat raw, so I stewed them up with some cinnamon and am eating them with porridge in the mornings.  Trying hard not to waste anything!

Dinner was a stir fry with the leftover beef from yesterday's roast and I made an apple and blackberry crumble with custard for pudding (with garden blackberries).

Managed to do a couple of surveys, but didn't do anything else. Waiting for a few cashouts to come through.

Hopefully will get more done tomorrow!  Am completely knackered now.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family