A new royal start

Options

Comments

• QueenJess
    QueenJess Posts: 3,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Whoops!  Got a bit overexcited thinking about food and accidentally planned the food menu for the whole of next week too!  Fingers crossed it'll keep costs down and got two batch cooking days included (plus the usual roast that lasts 2-3 days).
    2024 decluttering: 6,935 ⭐️🥉⭐️🏅🏅🥈⭐️🏅🥇🏅⭐️🏅
    April mini kitchen declutter challenge: 38/50
    2024 decluttering goals: 🥉3,000 🥈4,000 🥇5,000 💎12,000 🏆 20,000
  • QueenJess
    Options

Not much happening today.  Just another work day…

Did scan through cashback/survey sites and found another £13.62 to add to the mortgage fund.  No more skimming until the end of the month now, so need to find additional income to add to the mortgage fund or some savings from the budget.  Any savings I usually put by from my salary are going straight to the emergency fund to get it to the right level when I leave.  Only 2 months of work left (although I will be paid for 5).

Dinner tonight was tomato pasta with garlic bread and salad, followed by raspberry bread and butter pudding from yesterday.  Even managed no complaints!  DH seems to think that a meal without meat is not a meal at all.  I don’t like having loads of meat and would happily eat vegetarian most the week.  I’m trying to enforce 1 vegetarian meal a week for that reason, but also because of cost.  Seemed to get away with it this evening...  If it goes really well I might expand it to 2, but I am getting ahead of myself!

• QueenJess
    Options
    Urgh.  Feeling like the worst mummy in the world today.  Yesterday when I took DS to nursery he clung to me in tears not wanting to go in.  His best friends came out and held his hands to lead him in (very sweet).

Today DH took DS in and he was in tears by the door clinging onto me and saying he just wants to be with his mummy.  His sad little face watched me from the car until he disappeared down the road.  Feel terrible now  :( but the reality is that we are both working full time (for two months anyway) and DH hardly has a 9-5 job.  We just can't manage any more without some childcare.  I do think it is good for him to be able to play with other children as well.
  • A_Frayed_Knot
    Options
    Urgh, but as you say as soon as he is in the door and with his friends - you are forgotten about, didn't even look back on his first day.
    Time to keep busy , he will be fine, and you will probably feel worse than DS.
    Always have 00.00 at the end of your mortgage and one day it will all be 0's :dance:
    MF[STRIKE] March 2030[/STRIKE] Yes that does say 2030 :eek: Mortgage Free 21.12.18 _party_
    Now a Part Timer from 27.10.19
  • QueenJess
    Options
    Urgh, but as you say as soon as he is in the door and with his friends - you are forgotten about, didn't even look back on his first day.
    Time to keep busy , he will be fine, and you will probably feel worse than DS.
    Thanks :) I know he will be fine in the day playing with his best friend, but I will feel bad all day.  DS has already worked out how to get sympathy and so he will tell me later that he didn't have a nice day to make me feel worse (despite seeing photos in the day of him having a lovely time playing).
  • A_Frayed_Knot
    Options
    QueenJess said:
    Thanks :) I know he will be fine in the day playing with his best friend, but I will feel bad all day.  DS has already worked out how to get sympathy and so he will tell me later that he didn't have a nice day to make me feel worse (despite seeing photos in the day of him having a lovely time playing).
    They learn so young  : >:) 
    Always have 00.00 at the end of your mortgage and one day it will all be 0's :dance:
    MF[STRIKE] March 2030[/STRIKE] Yes that does say 2030 :eek: Mortgage Free 21.12.18 _party_
    Now a Part Timer from 27.10.19
  • QueenJess
    Options

Tried to redeem my day a bit by at least being productive (full time work aside!).  Washing is done, leftover pasta for lunch, tidied DS’s room, did some surveys and squeezed another £18 out of the budget and into the mortgage fund.

Also realised my MOT and service is due in October, so I’ve booked that in.  I have saved up for it in advance but sounds like I underestimated as it is a major service this year.  Will need to find £100 extra from the rest of the budget to cover that.  Got a month and a half to work on it though and think I can do it (depending on how much petrol I use…).  Must check my car insurance later this month as I think it’s due mid-November and I am guilty of always leaving it to the last second as I hate the annual dance you have to do.

The mortgage comes out tomorrow, so I will be able to update my new total.

Spent lots of time with DS after picking him up and we ate together as DH was in late meetings.  I made one of his favourites; jacket potato and beans and he had a homemade chocolate chip muffin from the freezer.  DH had a leftover portion of the fish pie I made at the weekend from the freezer and we are both still making our way through the never-ending raspberry bread and butter pudding.

I’m glad it’s Friday tomorrow as it has seemed like a really long week, even though it’s just 4 days of work this week!

• QueenJess
    edited 4 September 2020 at 1:03PM
    Options

The mortgage payment came out today, so I can update the net of my mortgage and my mortgage fund.  Feels like cheating really as I saved for over a year to get to this point and am showing it all this month!

The outstanding net amount is now £88,662.91.  Not too shabby.  I would love to get to the 87’s after next months payment but am currently about £160 short.  Will see where I get to.

Not much achieved today so far (full time work aside), but I have done a few surveys.  Will be nice to relax a bit over the weekend and get back to it all next week.  Fish and chips tonight for dinner and the last of the bread and butter pudding.  Will have to make a crumble over the weekend.

No expenditure expected over the weekend at least.

• South_coast
    South_coast Posts: 4,917 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Excellent, well done 😀!

Now I'm wondering whether I have any forgotten money - highly unlikely!
    Mortgage start: £65,495 (March 2016)
    Cleared 🧚‍♀️🧚‍♀️🧚‍♀️!!! In 5 years, 1 month and 29 days
    Total amount repaid: £72,307.03. £1.10 repaid for every £1.00 borrowed

Finally earning interest instead of paying it!!!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback