NHS Presciption and Dental payments

Options
My son is 20 and at uni, he is now on a regular prescription and I cannot see online whether he would qualify for an HC2 exemption card (very non-specific info!). It wouldn't be worth him pre-paying but as his only income is his student loan would that mean he can apply or is it just a case of applying and seeing what happens?
50p savers club member #16 - £6.00

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,960 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    You could apply and see.
    They consider student loan as income and ask for bank statements, so any parental regular payments would count too.
    Better that he applies during term time, when he is a student living independently rather than during the holidays when he is living at home.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    He could fill in an HC1 form and see if he's successful, of course because most students are on a low income. He may be able to get partial help with health costs, if not full costs. If he's on a regular prescription, I'm not saying that this is the case but would it be appropriate for him to contact the University's disabled student office? He may qualify for a non-repayable allowance. Just a thought.

It doesn't matter when he applies, term time or not because the details of his income won't change and everything has to be declared anyway.
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My son is 20 and at uni, he is now on a regular prescription and I cannot see online whether he would qualify for an HC2 exemption card (very non-specific info!). It wouldn't be worth him pre-paying but as his only income is his student loan would that mean he can apply or is it just a case of applying and seeing what happens?
    If it's one prescription per month then pre-payment still gives a saving. Don't forget that 'monthly' prescriptions are normally 28 days, so 13 prescriptions per month. 
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,960 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    MalMonroe said:
    It doesn't matter when he applies, term time or not because the details of his income won't change and everything has to be declared anyway.
    I was specifically told this isn't the case. If you apply in term time, you have your rent and utilities to pay for. Apply when you are living at home in the holidays, and they assume that there is no rent to pay and make no allowance for term time commitments.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • luckynumber13
    Options
    Thank you for your replies. He is already there as he got this years flat from 1st July. He has registered his illness when completing this years joining info so they should be aware but will get him to complete the form and see what happens. He gets no income from us (due to COVID and us running our own business that has been closed since lockdown). Only gets extra from surveys or selling something he owns online if he gets desperate! 
    50p savers club member #16 - £6.00
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure