Buying property before divorce

Options
pinkiem99
pinkiem99 Posts: 2 Newbie
First Post
edited 26 August 2020 at 11:08PM in Consumer rights
I moved out of my husbands house after domestic abuse last year. I have been living alone with two kids,5 and 2 in a rented house so far. I earn well and haven’t taken any money for child maintenance . We are not divorced just live separately since last 1.2 years. If I buy a house with my savings as deposit and hand loan from few friends, can my husband claim rights in my new property during divorce. My husband lost his job and is not working currently. He is so lazy he doesn’t want to work anymore. I didn’t do any police complaint for abuse but social workers and health workers. Can my husband claim rights in the property?

Comments

• upsidedownpancake
    Options
    If he has an entitlement to some of the savings, he'd have an interest to whatever you spent them on, otherwise, people in a divorce would just convert their assets from one thing into another and give their spouses the middle finger.  The question you should really be asking is, does he has any rights to your savings?
  • gwynlas
    gwynlas Posts: 1,709 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    The house was not just your husbands if it was your marital home and you would be entitled to half the equity on divorce,
    If you are happy to leave him at the house and not make any financial claim for either the house or child maintenance then you need legal advice on how to ensure your savings are safe and he cannot make a financial claim on your assets,
  • pinkiem99
    Options
    The house was a rented house. The challenge is  He has no investment in the UK, he owns a house abroad and all investments out of country . I am surprised a lazy man can sit idle at home, not take any responsibility of kids and still claim a share whereas I word hard and build a house for kids and can do nothing to stop him.
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    pinkiem99 said:
    The house was a rented house. The challenge is  He has no investment in the UK, he owns a house abroad and all investments out of country . I am surprised a lazy man can sit idle at home, not take any responsibility of kids and still claim a share whereas I word hard and build a house for kids and can do nothing to stop him.
    The person to ask for advice in this situation is your solicitor, not random strangers on the internet.  
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    This is nothing to do with consumer rights. I think you want the relationships board.
  • 32Battalion
    Options
    I suspect it might be prudent to wait.  You may also want to get to the bottom of all his overseas assets.  From what you say I don't expect this to be straight forward unless you both agree what is yours is yours and what is his is his.  Good luck.
  • ToxicWomble
    Options
    pinkiem99 said:
     . I am surprised a lazy man can sit idle at home, not take any responsibility of kids and still claim a share whereas I word hard and build a house for kids and can do nothing to stop him.
    Many times the shoe is on the other foot - isnt equality great
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure