We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Thousands of tiny flies in lawn

50Twuncle
50Twuncle Posts: 10,763
Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
Forumite
After cutting the lawn this afternoon - I noticed thousands of tiny green/white flies in the grass
What are they, are they causing any harm to the grass and how do I get rid of them ?

Comments

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,116
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    I don't know what they are but no doubt the birds do & will assist in clearing the food you have provided
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Farway said:
    I don't know what they are but no doubt the birds do & will assist in clearing the food you have provided
    They are virtually unnoticeable - so tiny - wouldn't fill the beak of a wren!
    Don't know whether the maggots are eating the grass roots though 
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    edited 27 August 2020 at 8:54AM
    If they are not easily identifiable and you can't capture them in a photo, it's unlikely they are offering any great threat to your lawn. There are plenty of identifiable things to worry about, so why do you want to waste time trying annihilate these small creatures, whatever they are?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback