New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Winter Fuel Allowance

5 replies 629 views
Bit early I know but I have recently split with my partner so want to ensure that I get the full amount this year
who do I need to tell that I am now a single person household or do HMRC pick this up from Local Authority.
Have tried searching online and couldn't fine any answers so wondering is someone knowledgeable on here could help.
Thanks

Replies

• edited 25 August at 4:57PM
    p00hsticksp00hsticks Forumite
    8.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 25 August at 4:57PM
    It's DWP (or more precisely, the Pension Service) not HMRC that need to know.
    Presumably you're already in receipt of the State Pension ? In that case I'd report a change of circumstance to them
    You can phone or write to them as described at the bottom of the link here (personally in your shoes I'd write as I know the phone lines are very busy at present);

If you ex moved out of your home, you'd need to ask them to do the same, I think, as if the two of you are both recorded as living at the same address the payment is likely to be split.

• FreyagirlFreyagirl Forumite
    74 posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    It's DWP (or more precisely, the Pension Service) not HMRC that need to know.
    Presumably you're already in receipt of the State Pension ? In that case I'd report a change of circumstance to them
    You can phone or write to them as described at the bottom of the link here (personally in your shoes I'd write as I know the phone lines are very busy at present);

If you ex moved out of your home, you'd need to ask them to do the same, I think, as if the two of you are both recorded as living at the same address the payment is likely to be split.

I moved out of the property, I have changed my details on the site, there isn't anywhere to specify your living arrangements will this be picked up automatically do you think? Thanks.
  • edited 26 August at 10:27AM
    missilemissile Forumite
    11K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 26 August at 10:27AM
    I would not rely on that, best to write a letter.
    On most of DWP communications, they state you must advise them of any change of circumstances
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • nicnak66nicnak66 Forumite
    54 posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Always put change of circumstances in writing to DWP and take a copy for you. Send 2nd class recorded if u can. Failure to disclose COC can lead to benefit being stopped. 
  • twhitehousescattwhitehousescat Forumite
    5.2K posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
     bit late posting this 

0800 7310160 number i rang as a new state pensioner to check , they were helpfull and had info in front of them