MSE Poll: How much are you worth (or do you owe)?

13»

Comments

• coachman12
    coachman12 Posts: 1,069
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    I entirely agree with MalMonroe's reply above.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I'm far wealthier than I thought, I'm also much younger
  • maisie_cat
    maisie_cat Posts: 2,055
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Academoney Grad First Post
    Forumite
    What are you worth? usually means everything you own less everything you owe. Anything is liquid over time, property can be sold.
    It appears that the question should be How much do you have in net liquid assets ? and most will be worth less
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,227
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    If it specifically excludes a mortgage from debts, then I assumed it also meant exclude the house from assets.  But it doesn't say anything about pensions or other investments.
    Another poll from MSE that's too badly worded to give meaningful results.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • I don't have a mortgage, well I do but it's an offset and it is fully offset but I wouldn't included the value of my house as I have to live somewhere. I just took my savings and investments then took away my total debts but as I type this I just remembered my endowment is due to mature soon and I didn't factor that in. Still not worth much and will probably have to work until I die.
    Nothing to see here, move along.
  • andishdi
    andishdi Posts: 5
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 29 August 2020 at 7:54PM
    I knew as soon as I saw the results that people had “interpreted” rather than read the question.

MSE is frequented by some very financially savvy people but I don’t trust the results of this poll for a second - there are people adding their car, pension... Their collection of old Beanos!
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 8,895
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    edited 31 August 2020 at 1:10AM
    My reading is that the poll asks for total liquid savings minus unsecured debts.  ie, investments/ISAs/current accounts minus personal loans/credit card debts.

Er - why? This really is a pointless exercise, as it doesn't give a true reflection of wealth. 

• Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,261
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    A totally meaningless poll from MSE:

How much are you worth (or do you owe)?

While many are struggling as a result of the coronavirus crisis, others are saving and repaying debts much faster than before. So this week, we're looking to get a snapshot of the nation's finances.

Take any unsecured debt (ie, EXCLUDING any mortgage/student loan) away from any savings you have and where do you end up?

How much are you worth suggests the inclusion of assets such as houses, but the use of the word 'savings' suggests otherwise.

Surely a website majoring on the financial can do better than this.  Pull the poll and start again with some clarity!

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback