We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Will deep mulch cause rot?

Options
I hate weeds and more so I hate weeding.  
I Have pulled up the black plastic sheeting this summer, after 2 years, to reveal a beautiful blank canvas all those dandy-lions are completely gone in what was supposed to be a lawn.    Not using it for a new lawn but are planting it up with whatever we can find, lavender, rosemary, geranium and blackcurrent bush.  
Have been shredding the privet hedge and making lots of shreddings.  Decided to pour the shreddings around the blackcurrent bushes 6 - 8 inches deep.  To try to stop the weeds.  OH is concerned the blackcurrent bushes will rot.  I don't think they will.  

Comments

• -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,504 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    They shouldn't but if he's worried, just clear them around the base.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Agree, don't push mulch's right up to the stems of plants.
  • xxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxx Posts: 425 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Will do, thanks
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    The problem with using fresh woody material as mulch is that it robs the soil of nitrogen as it decomposes, which can lead to plants' leaves being starved and turning yellow. I see this every year when the woodchips & sawdust from my log-cutting activities affects the grass where I worked....so I move the saw horse around a lot.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback