Redundancy / Universal Credit Advice

Hello Everyone, 
First of all I hope all of you are well and doing OK considering this uncertain times,

My partner has just been made Redundant officially for the company She has worked for past 7-8 years, 
Since it's a one of the bigger companies thankfully they have given her all the statutory payments etc, her notice period ends on 7th of October after which she will receive Redundancy pay too.
We have a 2 year old child and it's going to be a bit difficult considering current climate and circumstances to find a job to fit to our specific days As I am working for NHS Monday to Thursday and she used to work rest of the days while one of us would be looking after our daughter.
 Anyways, until she finds new job, couple of friends as well as her employer has recommended to fill in the application for Universal Credit and since we have been working all of our lives it's the area that we are fairly unfamiliar with. 

My first question is, She is from EU and she has been living and working in UK for past 12 years with currently "Settled" status, Would she qualify for Universal Credit?
And if she would, do we have to wait until her Redundancy Notice Period ends before we can apply for it? 

We are currently renting privately and only benefit we are getting is Child benefit (Around 82£ a month) - if that's relevant

Thanks a lot in advance for your advice 


  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Contributions/new style  JSA is not means tested

    Claim from date of termination  lasts 6 months

    other elements of  any claim are best asked on the benefits board.
  • Whether you qualify for Universal credit will depend on your wages. It would need to be a joint claim and you would receive a couples element, child element and rent element but the total of these would be reduced by your earnings. For Uc purposes, any redundancy pay would be treated as capital. If you have savings/ capital over 16k you would not be eligible to claim UC, and anything over 6k would reduce the Uc amount you get each month.
    As above if your partner has paid sufficient NI contributions over the last 2-3 years then she would be able to claim Contributions based JSA ( called new style JSA) for 6 months if your earnings ruled you out of claiming UC.
Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards