Rumours of redundancy

I'm currently still on furlough but a rumour has surfaced that the Chairman has mentioned to a more junior of staff that he is considering making me redundant. Of course this is Just a rumour but I wondered if it's worth handing in my notice (3 months) before a redundancy consultation is made official as I believe I would only be paid for one week if made redundant. It's a big risk, especially if it's only a rumour but the Chairman and I do not see eye to eye so I feel I'm in a vulnerable position.
If I did hand my notice in could they still make me redundant?

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,468
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    People are not redundant, jobs are.

If you hand your notice in, your employer won't need to "make you redundant" Unless you want to leave the company as you have a new job, there is no point in handing in your notice..
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • AskAsk
    AskAsk Posts: 2,403
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    when you say that you have 3 months notice, do you mean that this is from you or from your employer?
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,812
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    If your cotract says 3 month notice from them,  then that is what they have to pay you. 
    They may ask yiu to leave early but still have to pay you as per contract. 

make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • It's 3 months notice on either side but not sure if redundancy could change things as role would not be there any longer.
  • AskAsk
    AskAsk Posts: 2,403
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 21 August 2020 at 7:39PM
    RossiM said:
    It's 3 months notice on either side but not sure if redundancy could change things as role would not be there any longer.
    they will still need to give you the 3 months notice if they make you redundant so you haven't lost out if you wait.  i would just wait and it may turn out to be a rumour and nothing more.  but in any case it is best to wait.
    that one week that you refer you is statutory redundancy pay i am assuming, which would be paid on top of your notice period.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    RossiM said:
    I'm currently still on furlough but a rumour has surfaced that the Chairman has mentioned to a more junior of staff that he is considering making me redundant. 
    Sounds like pot stirring. Await official news before doing anything. While you cannot control a redundancy situation. At least maximise the payoff.
  • JReacher1
    JReacher1 Posts: 4,651
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Although legally true I do think redundancy is often targeted at certain people as an easy way of getting rid of them 
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    JReacher1 said:
    Although legally true I do think redundancy is often targeted at certain people as an easy way of getting rid of them 
    Relationships are ultimately two way. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure