PIP Phone Assessment Question?

Options

So tomorrow I have a phone assessment for my PIP claim that I made several months ago.

I'm slightly concerned that I may have not provided enough evidence as at the time I wasn't sure what relevant evidence was needed as I haven't claimed PIP before.

Basically on and off for several years now I have suffered with depression, anxiety and substance abuse and over the past 6-9 months my mental health has become very unstable.

I've found it very difficult to stay in full time employment and I'm currently out of work.

I won't go into detail, but I hear voices, have suicidal thoughts, panic attacks literally every day, mood swings, emotional/anger outbursts.

I provided them with a sick note (now expired) signed by my doctor that stated my depression, anxiety and substance abuse as well as a prescription with the anti depressant medication I'm currently taking.

I provided them with my GP contact details and my key worker details, but I've heard that they don't request any information from these hence why you have to provide evidence.

Now obviously since filling out the application form and sending the relevant evidence, my mental health conditions have become more unstable and I haven't been able to leave the house for over 2 months, been prescribed a new medication alongside my anti depressants to help with panic attacks and sleeping.

I've also been referred to several other mental health services since then as well as psychiatric nurses to determine if I have any other mental health as I've been told I may also suffer with PTSD due to childhood abuse and I'm worried that I might have to reapply and have to go through the whole process again if the claim gets denied because of either lack of evidence or new evidence.

I also live in shared accommodation so don't have any close friends or family that are able to provide support.

I also forgot to mention that I have lumbar radiculopathy on the application form

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Spoonie_Turtle
    Options
    For tomorrow, just try to tell them everything you can, be specific, and maybe make a note of what you need to tell them that's not on your form to make sure you don't forget anything.

In about a week's time, phone to request a copy of the assessor's report, because the decision almost always goes with it and you'll know what it will likely be. Then if you don't agree, once you have the decision you can request a mandatory reconsideration stating what parts you disagree with, what descriptors you think apply to you and why.

If the decision remains the same after the MR, you can appeal it, which will go to tribunal where the panel are impartial and are there to work out what the correct decision is in each individual case. 

If you have any extra evidence I'm fairly certain you can submit it with an MR request, and if you need to appeal you can definitely submit any extra evidence then too.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,960 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    A fit note from your GP isn't needed for a PIP claim and is not classed as evidence. This is needed for other benefits such as ESA and Universal Credit, if you're unable to work because of a health condition. PIP isn't about your ability to work.
    All you can do is answer those questions as honeslty as possible. Just tell it how it is. Assessment time can be anything from 20 - 90 minutes.
    If the worst happens and you're not successful i don't advise you to reapply, request the MR then Tribunal. Yes, you can send the extra evidence if the MR request is needed, although they won't be able to take into consideration any worsening of condition.
    The good news though that since Covid19 more people have successfully claimed PIP than ever before.

• Spoonie_Turtle
    Spoonie_Turtle Posts: 8,425 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 21 August 2020 at 12:42AM
    Options
    A fit note from your GP isn't needed for a PIP claim and is not classed as evidence. This is needed for other benefits such as ESA and Universal Credit, if you're unable to work because of a health condition. PIP isn't about your ability to work.
    All you can do is answer those questions as honeslty as possible. Just tell it how it is. Assessment time can be anything from 20 - 90 minutes.
    If the worst happens and you're not successful i don't advise you to reapply, request the MR then Tribunal. Yes, you can send the extra evidence if the MR request is needed, although they won't be able to take into consideration any worsening of condition.
    The good news though that since Covid19 more people have successfully claimed PIP than ever before.

Just to clarify, can they take into account if a condition is worse than originally written on the form? I know they can't take into account worsening after they've made the initial decision, but appeals are based on the decision date not the claim date, as far as I understand?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback