Unfair selection for redundancy and discrimination- Advice please!

I am a part time employee and have been selected to be at risk of redundancy. I am the only person at risk even though I work with others who do the same or similar job. The others are full time employees. I have asked in consultation why it is only me to be at risk and the company reasoning is that the area I often work on is closing down and you spend most of your time on that area. I have argued that all the products that are created are done collaboratively with people who have same or similar skills. I have done and do work on other areas as well which are not at risk.
There are at least two other people that are full time that do exactly the same as me that have not been put at risk. 
The boss has said that after the redundancy are made they will need two full time employees to continue the work.
I have not been given the opportunity to be in a selection pool with others, where a fair selection can be made.
I feel that I have been unfairly selected in a pool of one and as a result been treated less favourably than my two full time colleagues.
As a result I feel this is unfair on grounds of selection and discrimination as I am part time.
Can I ask for any advice on this?  I love my job and up until now had pride in what I do and loyalty for the company, but now feel wronged.

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,463
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    It does seem that your part time role is genuinely redundant, therefore cannot see any unfairness
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • nicechap
    nicechap Posts: 2,852
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I am a part time employee and have been selected to be at risk of redundancy. I am the only person at risk even though I work with others who do the same or similar job. The others are full time employees. I have asked in consultation why it is only me to be at risk and the company reasoning is that the area I often work on is closing down and you spend most of your time on that area. I have argued that all the products that are created are done collaboratively with people who have same or similar skills. I have done and do work on other areas as well which are not at risk.
    There are at least two other people that are full time that do exactly the same as me that have not been put at risk. 
    The boss has said that after the redundancy are made they will need two full time employees to continue the work.
    I have not been given the opportunity to be in a selection pool with others, where a fair selection can be made.
    I feel that I have been unfairly selected in a pool of one and as a result been treated less favourably than my two full time colleagues.
    As a result I feel this is unfair on grounds of selection and discrimination as I am part time.
    Can I ask for any advice on this?  I love my job and up until now had pride in what I do and loyalty for the company, but now feel wronged.
    What protected characteristic have they disrciminated against you on?  
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
  • It does seem that your part time role is genuinely redundant, therefore cannot see any unfairness
    I see. But is it not the case that they have to consider other people who do same or similar roles in selection? And not just 1 person?

• nicechap said:
    I don't believe its a protected characteristic but it is less favourable treatment. Is it not?

• p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,582
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    It does seem that your part time role is genuinely redundant, therefore cannot see any unfairness
    I see. But is it not the case that they have to consider other people who do same or similar roles in selection? And not just 1 person?

So would you be prepared to do the job full time ?
    If so, tell your employer and suggest that the three of you should be considered as to which two should fill the two full time positions ...
  • It does seem that your part time role is genuinely redundant, therefore cannot see any unfairness

So would you be prepared to do the job full time ?
    If so, tell your employer and suggest that the three of you should be considered as to which two should fill the two full time positions ...
    I would love to go full time. But the company do not want to make the two reapply for their own jobs (with me in the pool too)
    Interestingly, they are now saying that they have reasonably considered a pool but ruled it out on the grounds that I spend most of my time working on the area that is to close. However I have looked into this and can dispute this claim as I keep a record of which area I work on and for how long (since 2018) It seems I spend most of my time working in other areas, including those areas where the other two work.
    Additionally, it seems the other area which is closing is worked on predominately by one of the FT employees who does the same role as me.Whom they do not want to pool.
    So the argument doesn't stand up really. 
    Its all very confusing, how should I proceed do you think?
  • John_
    John_ Posts: 925
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    nicechap said:
    I don't believe its a protected characteristic but it is less favourable treatment. Is it not?

But even if it were, what would that matter? Employers can legally and morally discriminate for a great many reasons.
    Are you willing to go full time? If so, make sure that you make this clear to them.
  • MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    John_ said:
    nicechap said:

But even if it were, what would that matter? Employers can legally and morally discriminate for a great many reasons.
    Are you willing to go full time? If so, make sure that you make this clear to them.
    No. Employers cannot legally and morally discriminate for a great many reasons at all. There's the Equality Act of 2010 to put a stop to any of that underhanded business.
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 17 August 2020 at 9:43PM
    How long have you worked there and is there a union? If there is a union, are you a member?

The best advice I can give is for you to get in touch with Acas. Others on here seem to think you should just lie down, roll over and accept your fate. I've never been one of those people. Even if it gets you nowhere, you do need to be able to understand why you've been treated like this. I know they say your job has gone but you could, if you are doing similar work to others, have been redeployed.

Do contact Acas, they're great at advising. Don't give up without a fight. Even if you lose you'll know you tried.

P.S.  Here's the Acas link :  https://www.acas.org.uk/contact
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback