We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING:
Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour.
Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Seller stalling
I am an FTB, i made an offer on a house last wednesday for 171K, the house is in the market for O.I.E.O 170K. The sellers rejected the same day. I then put another offer in of 173K the following day (Thursday). Haven't heard anything since then. Should i phone E. A and demand a deadline? How would you proceed.
Thank you.
Comments
-
They will have been waiting for weekend viewings and seeing what offers come in. The agent will be following up today. You don't want to seem too keen so wait until tomorrow afternoon then give them a call if you haven't heard back.1
-
Ring the EA and ascertain what the current state of play is. Then consider your next move.1
-
If you have offered over asking price then it suggests one of two things either deep down sellers aren’t that keen to move and receiving offers has just confirmed this OR more likely they have a tonne of viewings and interest and want to get the best price they can.
You can only wait or put a time period on your offer via EA. Up to you.1 -
The seller can take as long as they like deciding whether or not to accept an offer.1
-
While making the offer, I would have asked them to either confirm of reject.
I was viewing a house with 8 viewings booked for open house. I viewed 3 days before. I offered the asking price but said the offer is only valid before the open house. Be prepared to walk away.1 -
Call tomorrow and ask for an update. If there is a ton of interest and if you have not seen another property you like there is no point setting a deadline, just tell the agent that the offer is still on the table but you will carry on viewing other properties in the mean time.1
-
you can call the EA and ask them to let you know by a certain date. if you don't hear back by that date then assume your offer is not acceptable. sounds like the vendor is considering your offer if they haven't already replied.1
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.8K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.2K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.8K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
