We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Blackberry harvest

KxMx
KxMx Posts: 10,599 Forumite
First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
edited 15 August 2020 at 8:40PM in Gardening
How are everyone's blackberry harvests going?
I live in east england and it was exceptionally dry in spring.
I kept up watering my mature blackberry (approx 12 years) but there wasn't as much new growth as I usually get. Usually I take all the dead leaves and wood out late winter and it goes from bare bones to an explosion of growth.
Consequently, a very poor harvest of fruit. I've had maybe 20 lovely berries and not sure I will get much more, those remaining are very small and haven't finished ripening before starting to go off.
Leaves look healthy.
I'm wondering if it's just a bad year or that I wasn't diligent enough in watering considering the weather. I have learned from previous years too little water means a poor harvest, I thought I had done enough but perhaps with the dryness and covid 19 distractions I just didn't. 

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    According to local radio, wild blackberries are exceptionally good this year in the West Country. I think there is bound to be some variability considering the different weather across the country. Your 'wet' would be relatively dry here!
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,199 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Mine was much better this year, we had rain at just the right time to swell the berries, followed by lots of heat to ripen them
    harvest is just about over now with those left starting to go mouldy
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • carly
    carly Posts: 1,414 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Funnily enough our cultivated blackberries haven't had their best year, but I'd put this down to lack of management of the new canes last year due to being away at the wrong time. Meanwhile the wild berries on the canal towpath are having their best year ever. Yesterday I picked 3kg of plump juicy berries in less than one hour. Sadly they have thorns and the garden ones don't. 
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,517 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    I tried the ones growing behind my fence as anti vandal/wildlife friendly and they are big and juicy but flavourless. Shame.
    I've picked up some free cooking apples today and I'm to go on the moors tomorrow to look at the wild ones. There are several varieties of bramble there so it's a matter of sampling to find the real blackberry taste.

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• Soot2006
    Soot2006 Posts: 2,162 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Fantastic  harvest in the SouthEast. Huge, juicy, and very sweet this year.
  • gamston
    gamston Posts: 684 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    the wild ones near me are small and most are not ready yet (nth notts), hopefully after the rain this week they will stay to grow
  • VoucherMan
    VoucherMan Posts: 2,771 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I think it's still a little early up here in Lancashire, although I have been out a couple of times and picked a few. The first batch went towards a large blackberry & apple crumble, and taste very good. The rest, which are hopefully just as flavourful, have been frozen & bagged.
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,599 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 23 August 2020 at 12:14PM
    Thanks so much for all your comments. 
    I am definitely aiming to try harder with watering next year once it starts spring growth.
    Perhaps I was watering an amount which normally with rain would have been fine but we had none at all for about 6 weeks and it was warmer than average too. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback