Advice needed, employment tribuneral

First post and it's looking for advice.
I recently got made redundant after 3 years, but I believe it happend because i made a complaint about the owner saying i had aids and would need to go on furlough because of this, it was said in a staff briefing jokingly, but I thought it was extremely inappropriate, around 4 weeks later I was furloughed.
I made a complaint to the director and kept a copy of the email as proof as nothing was getting done about it.
Also why I was on furlough I was expected to work whilst furloughed I brought this to light by speaking to the director and he spoke to the owner about it, then I get an email stating I was invited in for a redundancy meeting I did say this was because of the complaint and me not wanting to work whilst furloughed, but it fell on death ears. I appealed against the decision, but the person chairing the appeal was the owners ex husband who deals with the finances for the business I stated I wasnt happy with him doing the appeal because the owners son and his son worked at the same company and was part of my complaint, but they advised he was impartial and continued with the meeting. I have reported it to HMRC for this to be investigated, but haven't been contacted yet. Also the owner was expecting me to comit fraud and when I advised I wouldnt do this all the above happend. 
This is brief description just looking for advice.

Thank you 

Comments

• Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 15 August 2020 at 8:47PM
    What outcome are you hoping for at a tribunal? 
  • MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    ascott08 said:
    First post and it's looking for advice.
    I recently got made redundant after 3 years, but I believe it happend because i made a complaint about the owner saying i had aids and would need to go on furlough because of this, it was said in a staff briefing jokingly, but I thought it was extremely inappropriate, around 4 weeks later I was furloughed.
    I made a complaint to the director and kept a copy of the email as proof as nothing was getting done about it.
    Also why I was on furlough I was expected to work whilst furloughed I brought this to light by speaking to the director and he spoke to the owner about it, then I get an email stating I was invited in for a redundancy meeting I did say this was because of the complaint and me not wanting to work whilst furloughed, but it fell on death ears. I appealed against the decision, but the person chairing the appeal was the owners ex husband who deals with the finances for the business I stated I wasnt happy with him doing the appeal because the owners son and his son worked at the same company and was part of my complaint, but they advised he was impartial and continued with the meeting. I have reported it to HMRC for this to be investigated, but haven't been contacted yet. Also the owner was expecting me to comit fraud and when I advised I wouldnt do this all the above happend. 
    This is brief description just looking for advice.

Thank you 
    In the first instance you should contact Acas, click on the following link :
    https://www.acas.org.uk/contact
    If you want to bring a case to an Employment Tribunal, you have to do it through them, anyway, so that's what I'd suggest you do on Monday.

They will listen to what you have to say and advise you accordingly. 

Nobody else on this forum will have any more good advice than that really. The employers you describe sound absolutely awful and not working for them would be my main ambition!

Good luck - but DO contact Acas. They can point you in the right direction and will even tell you whether or not they think it's a good idea to proceed to a Tribunal, which they will help with, if necessary. 

[P.S. It's DEAF ears, not death ears.]
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    What outcome are you hoping for at a tribunal? 
    Some justice, I'd think, wouldn't you?  OP can't go to Tribunal though until they've contacted Acas, who will be able to advise much better than any of us on here can.
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback