Conditional Sale Finance Reported on HPI check

Options
Hello,
I paid for a ford focus including a part exchange at the trust ford Edgware dealership. The dealer had informed me that all their cars are free of finance and HPI checked when I first spoke to him. As this is a Ford main dealer I did not feel the need to run a HPI check myself before paying for the car. I decided to run one yesterday out of curiosity and I have found that the HPI is showing outstanding finance and that there is a conditional sale finance reported on the vehicle. I am due to pick up the vehicle today, I've emailed the dealership and they tell me that it has been settled however it takes time to "update" the system on Experian. Do I have the right to ask for a full refund on everything I have paid as they have mislead me and seemingly sold me a car that has outstanding finance and wasn't theirs to sell.

Comments

• neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 14 August 2020 at 8:44AM
    Options
    It will be theirs to sell, it's illegal for them to do otherwise. There really isn't anything to worry about.
  • Penguin_
    Penguin_ Posts: 1,235 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    As above, they fund the cars on their forecourt via company such as Lombard. When you pay for your car they will mark it as sold on the system & it will then get taken from their account & settled.
  • elephata
    Options
    Thank you for your replies. I don't have buyers remourse at all, I was very much looking forward to sorting this out and getting my car today. I'm simply concerned about the outstanding finance shown on the HPI. I think it's a genuine concern. When I contacted the finance company today they informed me that they still have a financial interest in the car. They have told me to ring the finance company again on Tuesday as apparently they will have settled the finance by then. I don't understand why this is the norm, surely they should settle the outstanding finance before the payment is taken from the customer.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    elephata said:
    Thank you for your replies. I don't have buyers remourse at all, I was very much looking forward to sorting this out and getting my car today. I'm simply concerned about the outstanding finance shown on the HPI. I think it's a genuine concern. When I contacted the finance company today they informed me that they still have a financial interest in the car. They have told me to ring the finance company again on Tuesday as apparently they will have settled the finance by then. I don't understand why this is the norm, surely they should settle the outstanding finance before the payment is taken from the customer.
    The finance will be settled prior to you collecting the car. Again, I'll repeat, there is nothing to be concerned about, it is illegal for the dealer to hand over the car without good title.
  • Arunmor
    Arunmor Posts: 128 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Don't trust your dealer and always do car history/condition check by yourself. https://carcheckup.co.uk is the best option in the UK to do so. They also provide extensive free check including mileage issues apart from premium one. I suggest to to buy premium check to see all details like  engine number, VIN number, stolen or police marker record, write-off check, damage history, outstanding finance, high-risk record, ex-owners history, V5C (Logbook) history, colour change history ..etf
    I have just reported this guy for spamming the board.  Check his history.
  • sheslookinhot
    sheslookinhot Posts: 1,984 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 15 April at 10:35AM
    Options
    An almost 4 year old post, quoting a post that didn’t appear on this thread ????
    Mortgage free
    Vocational freedom has arrived
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,060 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    An almost 4 year old post, quoting a post that didn’t appear on this thread ????

The post popped up yesterday, and has now been removed, it stays in Arunmor's quote though.
    Pity that when you quote it doesn't add the timestamp.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback