PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

When do you find out how much money you get from a sale?

This is the first time I've been in the country dealing with my own sale and not my first simple question I'm ashamed to ask!

When do I get to know exactly how much money will be due to me on completion minus all costs of paying off the old mortgage, estate agent, solicitors etc? I know exactly to the penny what I need to buy the next place including all fees, but I don't know how much I'm going to get from this place... I'm worried I'll end up being £50 short and having to delay because my purchase solicitor is insisting if all the money isn't there from my sale then it will delay as it's a further transaction to verify. So far I only have my own approximation from looking at how much outstanding on my mortgage etc. and it puts me perilously close to not being enough.

Comments

• lesalanos
    lesalanos Posts: 863 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You will not know until you get a completion date
  • Anamox
    Anamox Posts: 174 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    lesalanos said:
    So when we agree a completion date with the chain, before exchanging contracts, my solicitor should be able to give me an exact amount of money I'll receive assuming we do indeed complete on that date?

I'm a bit anxious about exchanging contracts if I haven't got the money sorted and confident my sale more than covers my purchase, however I achieve that.
  • Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    If you haven't got at least a few months wages in savings then you really shouldn't be moving. What happens if the boiler fails in the first week and you need to pay for a new one?
  • Anamox said:
    lesalanos said:
    So when we agree a completion date with the chain, before exchanging contracts, my solicitor should be able to give me an exact amount of money I'll receive assuming we do indeed complete on that date?

I'm a bit anxious about exchanging contracts if I haven't got the money sorted and confident my sale more than covers my purchase, however I achieve that.
    Hi, your solicitor will do a completion statement prior to completion, which will detail exactly what is due. Don't panic about being short, your solicitor will requisition any funds needed from you in time.
  • Anamox
    Anamox Posts: 174 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Slithery said:
    If you haven't got at least a few months wages in savings then you really shouldn't be moving. What happens if the boiler fails in the first week and you need to pay for a new one?
    My concern isn't regarding affording it, as I can, comfortably. My concern is that on all the solicitors paperwork and mortgage stuff my onward purchase was being covered by sale proceeds, now I've taken a reduction on price this may not be the case. If I have to supplement the tiny shortfall by my own savings (a different source of money, basically), it may delay my already fragile chain.

PS, if my boiler fails I'll replace it myself  :smiley:
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Anamox said:
    lesalanos said:
    Maybe, maybe not. They'd need a redemption figure from your current lender for your completion date, there can be other minor variations depending on what disbursements might happen before completion happens. You shouldn't really be budgeting a house move down to a few quid here and there, and nobody is going to guarantee an exact net amount. But I expect your solicitor can give you a better estimate than your own calculations if you ask them.
  • RelievedSheff
    RelievedSheff Posts: 11,297 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    You will get a completion statement from your solicitor once a date for completion has been agreed. This will indicate any excess which will be paid back to you or any shortfall which you need to transfer to the solicitor prior to completion.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,059 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    I think the OP is trying to say that he can supplement  any money due but he is worried that if he has to transfer money from his bank account that will need to be  verified  ( for money laundering) and that will delay things.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    sheramber said:
    I think the OP is trying to say that he can supplement  any money due but he is worried that if he has to transfer money from his bank account that will need to be  verified  ( for money laundering) and that will delay things.
    Oh. In that case, no, they don't need to worry about it causing a significant delay, unless it's coming from some unusual source.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback