We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

How demotervating !!

First Post!, Got a morgage in march 07, £121,000 over 30 years, been making small overpayments each month, as cash is very short. rung up morgage company today, just out of curisoity ( or however you spell it ) :confused:

And they total i have paid including the overpayments is £7029.84 and the morgage has only reduced by £585 quid :eek: :eek:

god do i feel down:( :(:(

Comments

• Kaz2904
    Kaz2904 Posts: 5,797 Forumite
    First Post Mortgage-free Glee! Combo Breaker
    Unfortunately that is the way it goes. Remeber that each time you make any overpayment this early on it is extremely valuable over the term of the loan.
    Really you can't look at how much you have paid over the last ... months because the vast majority of it will be interest.
    Over time the interest decreases and you will pay more capital- your overpayments are making that day closer.
    Debt: 16/04/2007:TOTAL DEBT [strike]£92727.75[/strike] £49395.47:eek: :eek: :eek: £43332.28 repaid 100.77% of £43000 target.
    MFiT T2: Debt [STRIKE]£52856.59[/STRIKE] £6316.14 £46540.45 repaid 101.17% of £46000 target.
    2013 Target: completely clear my [STRIKE]£6316.14[/STRIKE] £0 mortgage debt. £6316.14 100% repaid.
  • I know it's very depressing isn't it. If you can't afford more then you can't afford more but you can look at the exact amounts your payments or overpayments are making off the capital on http://www.whatsthecost.com/ by playing with your current term and alternative proposed terms. When I did it I discovered that 200 quid a month would change my new 25 year term into 19 years. Although I can't afford the extra 200 really I am trying hard by reducing my other costs so I can pay it (and hoping that somehow magically my income will increase at some point so that this will be less of a struggle).
    MFi3 member 105 - MFW date Oct 2023 - 12 years 9 months more
  • Thanks Kaz & esthomizzy,

I just expected it to be a lot lower than 585 quid when you pay £7000. its gives a whole new meaning to the term "Lonesharks" :rotfl:
  • catshark88
    catshark88 Posts: 1,099 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Sympathy all round! Blinking banks!
    "Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." William Morris
  • mrke
    mrke Posts: 145 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    You may feel down but you could look at this another way:

Your small overpayment of say £15 per month will knock about 1 and a half year off the mortgage and could save you getting on for £8000 so this is very worth while.

Keep overpaying, and add a little extra in the future if finances allow and the savings will be even greater.

Good luck......
    *** This Space For Rent ***
  • 17Dave
    17Dave Posts: 158 Forumite
    Com on - your only 8 months into a 360 month deal!!
    I think you are about £60 ahead - if you are paying at 5%

At 5% at the end of year one your monthly payment will be contributing approx. £152 towards reducing the capital. By the end of year 10 £238, 20 392 and 29 £615. Its a long run not a sprint.
    Keep smiling
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him no good."(Samuel Johnson 1709-1784)

Lots of years in financial services, still learning!
  • know how you feel we had an endowment been paying for 15 years in the end it amounted to nothing and i was working full time instead of being at home with my kids to pay off my mortgage when in the end it was all for f...all now that is depressing.
    The average woman would rather have beauty than brains,
    because the average man can see better than he can think.

Many people's view of the world is down to their experience, perception and what they have been conditioned to,this isnt any old MSE reply this is a important and experienced MSE reply :rotfl:
  • ailuro2
    ailuro2 Posts: 7,540 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    £10 a month extra will save you one whole year of mortgage payments.;)

The sooner you start to overpay, the sooner you start depriving the bank of interest.:D
    Member of the first Mortgage Free in 3 challenge, no.19
    Balance 19th April '07 = minus £27,640
    Balance 1st November '09 = mortgage paid off with £1903 left over. Title deeds are now ours.
  • MissKJ
    MissKJ Posts: 780 Forumite
    You need advice on mis-sold endowments?

know how you feel we had an endowment been paying for 15 years in the end it amounted to nothing and i was working full time instead of being at home with my kids to pay off my mortgage when in the end it was all for f...all now that is depressing.
    unsecured Debts at [strike]August 2007 £79,984[/strike] September £79,579 [STRIKE]Snowballing date July 2013[/STRIKE].

May 2009, £76,772 unsecured debts

DMP started Dec 2008, End date at start 2133!
  • IveSeenTheLight
    IveSeenTheLight Posts: 13,322 Forumite
    First Post!, Got a morgage in march 07, £121,000 over 30 years, been making small overpayments each month, as cash is very short. rung up morgage company today, just out of curisoity ( or however you spell it ) :confused:

And they total i have paid including the overpayments is £7029.84 and the morgage has only reduced by £585 quid :eek: :eek:

god do i feel down:( :(:(

It sounds like you have encountered what many do when they get a mortgage.
    Initially, you probably didn't have to make a payment for over a month, maybe even almost two months. this just means that the interest has been added to your mortgage and since you have been paying it off.
    I worked out that it was 4 months after I got my mortgage before I had reduced the mortgage bcack to my initial "borrowing" level

Its handy to have this gap when you move into your new home, but you probably end up paying 4 months to recover
    :wall:
    What we've got here is....... failure to communicate.
    Some men you just can't reach.
    :wall:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 345.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 251K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 451K Spending & Discounts
  • 237.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 612.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 174.3K Life & Family
  • 251K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.