PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Access to chimney rights?

Options
2»

Comments

• princeofpounds
    princeofpounds Posts: 10,396 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    As stated, google access to neighboring land act 1992 and you'll learn all about it. But the basic problem with it is that a) you'll need to go to court to enforce if if they say no and b) it needs to be for preservation purposes, not new installations (though a chimney liner may qualify)

So ask nicely. Option of a cherry picker or scaffold is considerate. I'm sure they'll be ok.
  • pramsay13
    pramsay13 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Do your rights really matter in this instance. 

If your neighbour really doesn't want you to use their land for access are you actually going to go through the hassle and expense of getting a court order that will allow you to do it.

Plus that would not be a good start to your neighbourly relations.

I think you need to practice your baking skills, invite the neighbours round to say hello, and ask them politely if you can use their land for a few days.
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,823 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Mickey666 said: Are you really sure that scaffolding is necessary?  We've had chimney liners installed using a 'cherry picker'.  Cheaper than scaffolding too.
    If the area is suitable for a cherry picker, it would be in an out in three or four hours. Scaffolding would take the best part of a day to erect, and the same again to dismantle.
    When I had my liner installed, it was a guy up a ladder - Not my favoured method of working, but he was happy to do it that way.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Cherry picker every time. Scaffolders are notorious for using others' land as temporary storage, so you'd be unable to guarantee removal to a schedule. The scaffolding would cost more too.
  • mobileron
    mobileron Posts: 1,218 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Im a bit confused. you say its a detached house. But you have have to put scaffold on neighbours property  Why?.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 11 August 2020 at 8:20AM
    Options
    mobileron said:
    Im a bit confused. you say its a detached house. But you have have to put scaffold on neighbours property  Why?.
    It's not confusing at all. Sometimes, detached houses have only the width of the roof overhang as the land surrounding one end, or half the gap between 2 properties doesn't equal the width of a scaffold tower.
    I also think we should trust the OP's knowledge of their own property.

• davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 11 August 2020 at 8:27AM
    Options
    mobileron said:
    Because their gable wall is on (or very close to) the boundary?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback