New Post Advanced Search
Long thread, apologies: I’ve contracted a plumber to refit my WC room - he was not the cheapest plumber but he has good reviews. The job as I described it was to extend the room back into a void space, and sideways into disused airing cupboard space, then fit toilet, basin and heated towel rail and plasterboard entire room with splas back above basin. On day one it was clear he'd misunderstood that I’d wanted him to extend existing WC room into part of disused airing cupboard to make space for the basin (I’d even checked by email that his quote included this and he said yes it included extending the existing room to make space (but didn’t specify extending sideways as well as backwards), then it became clear that the plasterboarding was just for the new space he is creating (about 80cm squared) and not rest of room (about 100 x 80cm) which he’s leaving as tiled (despite him asking when he specced the job if I wanted a splashback above the basin - which isn’t needed if he’s leaving the existing tiles there). The job is costing £6k - I live in an expensive part of the UK and the job involves part replacement of soil stack and building new floor, ceiling and wall in small extended space. On day 1 (he was available at short notice as he said other jobs had finished early) he also told me the sanitaryware he’d suggested wasn’t going to be available for delivery in time, so having to go with more expensive items. I’ve paid a third of the quote as a deposit. I think the price is high given the difference in what I’d requested and what he’s doing - do I have any grounds to renegotiate at this stage, and can I expect a fully itemised breakdown of labour and materials costs so that I can see what I’ve paid for, before I pay the balance on completion? Thanks for any constructive advice.