Holiday Booking for next year

Options
I am looking at booking a holiday for next Easter to Portugal. The flights will be booked separately with let’s say EasyJet or BA and the villa with AirB&B.

my question is what is the safest payment method for me to get a refund if due to Covid19 we couldn’t travel, Credit Cards, Debit Cards etc. As I assume if I took out insurance that wouldn’t cover it as I am already aware of the risk that travel could be cancelled.

This would be our first family holiday For my daughter will be 7 as we have never had the money before and so am obviously concerned about loosing my money.
Cheers

Comments

• bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,102 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There is no way to get absolute protection, unless you can find travel insurance to cover you, but as you say that's unlikely.

You would only be due a refund from the airline if the flights were cancelled.  If the flights go ahead then no refund would be due.  It wouldn't matter if the FCO advises against travel to Portugal, or if the Portugese Government restricted UK travelers from entering -  it's all down to whether the flight operates or not.  Credit/Debit card is no magic solution either - they will only refund if the product was not provided.  Note the difference between the flight not being provided, and the flight being provided but you not being able to use it, or chosing not to use it.

Same with a villa booking.  If it's a standalone booking separate from the flight, then one has no bearing on the other.  If the flights were cancelled, but the villa was available, you wouldn't get a refund unless the cancellation terms permitted you to.  These do vary on AirBnb depending on the host.  If you go down the DIY route then book accommodation with maximum flexibility - i.e. can be cancelled up until the day or day before travel.

A package booking with someone like Jet2Holidays or TUI would provide much better protection.  At least with a package the two elements are connected - if the flights get cancelled then the package would be cancelled.  Also notice that with the current Spain situation, TUI and Jet2 have cancelled holidays.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    jrr3 said:
    I am looking at booking a holiday for next Easter to Portugal. The flights will be booked separately with let’s say EasyJet or BA and the villa with AirB&B.
    for the flights, BA have "book with confidence" https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/incident/coronavirus/latest-information#make
    that would enable you to get a voucher if the flight operates but you choose not to travel
    for a refund on an operating flight you would need a refundable ticket and at just under £1000 (each) for London to Faro with BA that is probably not a viable option for many
  • blindman
    blindman Posts: 5,659 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 9 August 2020 at 5:11PM
    Options
    jrr3 said:
    I am looking at booking a holiday for next Easter to Portugal. T For my daughter will be 7 as we have never had the money before and so am obviously concerned about loosing my money.
    Cheers

As bagand96 says a package would be best for you (Can't believe I''m saying this).

However choose wisely who you go with .

This thread has shown that 99% of TA are  £%^&%%%%'s

Again Jet2 seem to be the best .

Some insurers are now offering Covid aware policies, you need to shop around.

Personally I have booked accommodation for next year, that I can cancel for free up to about 1 week before we arrive.
    Air far I have not booked yet, but I use Airmiles so these are cancellable for mostly nothing too

This is always my way and meant I got all my money back from an Australia\South Pacific trip I had to cut short in March.
  • Nebulous2
    Nebulous2 Posts: 5,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    We're living in uncertain times. We could have a vaccine for Coronavirus, and everything heading back towards normal by then, or we could be locked down tight with no leisure travel allowed. 

Holidays could be reduced in price to tempt people back, or they could be fully booked and dearer than ever. 

One way to reduce the uncertainty is to narrow down the time frame. Book close to the time and hope there are no sudden changes. That's what I'm doing. I usually book ferries to the continent at Christmas for the following August / September. This year I won't, I'll wait and see. 

You need to make your own choice, but it is likely you will have to take some risk of losing your money yourself.
  • JamoLew
    JamoLew Posts: 1,800 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    personally - i wouldn't be booking anything abroad
    There are very uncertain times ahead and no guarantees which airlines will even be operating (and from where)
  • blindman
    blindman Posts: 5,659 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 9 August 2020 at 5:55PM
    Options
    JamoLew said:
    There are very uncertain times ahead and no guarantees which airlines will even be operating (and from where)
    Let's all hide under the bedsheets wrapped in bubble wrap.....

Life is full of risks,

Book with cancellation options that suit.
  • JGB1955
    JGB1955 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    edited 9 August 2020 at 5:56PM
    Options
    I've booked a 3 week holiday next year - I can cancel all the accommodation at short notice without penalty (between 14 days before and even up to the night before).  I feel that gives me enough control for my comfort.... 'times. they are a-changing'.  We're driving to our destinations and there will be no cost on that front for cancellation.  If I have to lose £300 on a 21 day road trip, that's less than the excess on a travel insurance claim....
    #2 Saving for Christmas 2024 - £1 a day challenge. £131 of £366
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    jrr3 said:
    This would be our first family holiday For my daughter will be 7 
    Cheers

Your 7 year old will be just as happy (if not happier?) going to Alton Towers than abroad :-)
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • JamoLew
    JamoLew Posts: 1,800 Forumite
    edited 10 August 2020 at 7:26AM
    Options
    blindman said:
    JamoLew said:
    Let's all hide under the bedsheets wrapped in bubble wrap.....

Life is full of risks,

Book with cancellation options that suit.
    I have continued to work full time (and then some) in a busy hospital throughout all this - so am certainly not risk averse
    I can wait for a foreign holiday- no rush and tbh can't be bothered with the potential "hassle" - although a nice 2 weeks by a pool with a cold beer does sound very appealing right now
    One look at these threads and the hoops people have to jump through to get refunds - no thanks, don't need that kind of hassle
    Had enough "disappointments" this year with multiple concerts/events being cancelled/postponed
    Will just book some annual leave anyway and see what's what nearer the time
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure