Redundancy was good for my life

I thought I would make a post to give people some hope in what is often the most frightening thing in their life. 
I am 50 and loved my job until 18 months ago when the CEO who hired me left the company I was in a senior role on a good six figure salary. I still enjoyed it but as managemnet changed and people I had worked with for up to 20 years left it became less enjoyable to the point where I ended up hating it. I have a small company not making a profit in the background. I was made redundant (illegally) but could,not be bothered to fight it and took the paltry offering and started working for myself full time in January, then Covid struck my business closed for 10 weeks and I was worried. Since then it’s gone through the roof I am doing really well and whilst I will never earn what I was in employment I am happier and although working long hours I have control and more flexability. I was just as scared and worried as everyone else was and I felt (and to an extent still do) bitter as I built the company that got rid of me but things are better now. I hasten to add I have over the years made 12 people redundant and every one of them has ended up better for it. 

So don’t treat redundancy as the end of the world but the start of a new one use this to decide what you want to do and as an opportunity to make it happen pull the positive out and positives will happen. You can’t imagine how worried I was after trading full time for only 8 weeks and having to stop with no government help but hard work has made good things happen.

Comments

• tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,845
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 8 August 2020 at 10:12AM
    I would echo this. Your redundancy is what you make of it. I've been made redundant twice. The first time I received £12,000 and was able to find a job, on more money, that I could start on the Monday after the redundancy took effect on the Friday! The second time, I was able to give my employer notice that I wanted to retire in four months time, when they announced a round of redundancies. They ended up paying me to retire two months early!  

It has pretty much always been true that if you have skills that are in demand you will be able to get a good job. So make sure that you always have skills that are in demand. 
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback