We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

LISA withdrawal delaying completion date

I find myself in an awkward situation. We're exceptionally close to completing the purchase for our first home but a simple thing may delay us by another week.

We are looking to exchange ASAP to make good our proposed completion date, however, we were intending to use a LISA to pay for a portion of our deposit. It is possible that the LISA funds will not be available in time to be used for the deposit, meaning everything could be delayed. I find myself in the fortunate position where I could pay this deposit money from my own pocket, although, by doing this would I believe I would lose the ability to withdraw the funds from the LISA for the purposes of this house purchase?

An example of the situation: say the property was worth £100k and have a £10k deposit to pay alongside a £90k mortgage. The intention is to use the LISA to cover the £10k deposit. In this scenario, if I paid the deposit using savings, would there be any way of using the LISA at completion to pay £10k of the purchase price and then either pay off £10k of the mortgage immediately or, even better, receive this £10k back to put back into savings?

I feel as though I know the answer to this before asking but I want to fully understand the options available to us. Delaying completion wouldn't be the biggest deal but it sure would save some headaches!

Any help in understanding how everything works would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Comments

  • diggingdude
    diggingdude Posts: 2,506
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Don't exchange with a completion date until solicitor has the Lisa deposit if you want to make sure you won't lose the Lisa bonus. 
    An answer isn't spam just because you don't like it......
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    A week is nothing in the bigger scheme of things. 
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.