Switching Pet Insurance

Hi, I’ve just got my cats pet insurance renewal quote and it’s increased by over 25% even though I’ve had no claims.  I’ve looked for a like for like policy elsewhere and found one to switch to.  My only concern is the 14 day period that they don’t cover you for illness at inception of policy.  Should I just incept it 14 days earlier or will prior insurer not pay out if I have 2 policies in place at the same time (dual coverage)?

Comments

• Sandtree
    Sandtree Posts: 10,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    There is no dual coverage if the new policy wont pay out.

The reason for the 14 days is obviously in case your pet has started showing signs of illness which is why you rush out to buy a new policy, "forget" to mention that they are currently sick and then make a claim a few days later lying about when the symptoms started.

I don;t know if any insurers waive the 14 day period if you can show you have had continuous cover abite with different insurers but an overlap is the other way to get around it.

The main issue with switching insurers however is if your cat has ever been ill before which developed whilst with your old insurers that will not be covered by the new insurers.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback