New Post Advanced Search

Discoloured tap

5 replies 61 views
Hi all
I used some grout colour restorer on my tiles last night and I woke up this morning to find our new bath tap has developed discolouration from the residue dropping on to it.   I have tried lots of different solutions to clean this off including white vinegar but nothing seems to shift it.

Does anyone have any ideas of what this might be and how it could be shifted. I have attached a couple of photos. 
Thanks!

Replies

• edited 6 August at 7:42AM
    DoozergirlDoozergirl Forumite
    29.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 6 August at 7:42AM
    It looks like it's stripped some of the chrome coating and you're looking through at the brass of the tap body.  
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • CatsacorCatsacor Forumite
    668 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭
    I agree with @Doozergirl
    First, take responsibility .....
  • neilmclneilmcl Forumite
    16K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it rough to the touch, has it eaten into the chrome surface or on top of the surface? You could try some Viakal spray or Barkeepers friend to see if that shifts it but if it has eaten into the chrome then I'm afraid you're pretty much stuffed.
  • grumblergrumbler Forumite
    53.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like just some oxidisation to me. If so, just requires some gentle polishing.
    We are born naked, wet and hungry...Then things get worse. :(

.withdrawal, NOT withdrawel ..bear with me, NOT bare with me
    .definitely, NOT definately ......separate, NOT seperate
    should have, NOT should of
    .....guaranteed, NOT guarenteed
  • rajanmrajanm Forumite
    45 posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    neilmcl said:
    Is it rough to the touch, has it eaten into the chrome surface or on top of the surface? You could try some Viakal spray or Barkeepers friend to see if that shifts it but if it has eaten into the chrome then I'm afraid you're pretty much stuffed.
    It's actually smooth to the touch so it's very odd. I'm trying white vinegar now but not holding out much hope