Rough Estimate

I live in a 4 in a block house (4 flats, 2 upstairs, 2 downstairs, kind of like two semi-detached together for people that don't know) and my upstairs neighbour is selling their flat. In the next couple of years we would need to look at moving else where as it is a 2 bedroom flat that we are in, and have kids. What I was wondering was, how much to you think it would cost to convert the two flats, into one house? I have attached a rough drawing, I'm no graphic designer so I only could manage it in paint, but it gives the general jist of things. I was hoping to keep the existing stairs that my neighbour has, but knock through the wall on the inside, to save having to build stairs. With my plan for the upstairs, there isn't much renovating need done, it would only be converting the kitchen and bathroom from upstairs into an additional bedroom, the majority of the work would be on the downstairs flat.

Comments

• I live in a 4 in a block house (4 flats, 2 upstairs, 2 downstairs, kind of like two semi-detached together for people that don't know) and my upstairs neighbour is selling their flat. In the next couple of years we would need to look at moving else where as it is a 2 bedroom flat that we are in, and have kids. What I was wondering was, how much to you think it would cost to convert the two flats, into one house? I have attached a rough drawing, I'm no graphic designer so I only could manage it in paint, but it gives the general jist of things. I was hoping to keep the existing stairs that my neighbour has, but knock through the wall on the inside, to save having to build stairs. With my plan for the upstairs, there isn't much renovating need done, it would only be converting the kitchen and bathroom from upstairs into an additional bedroom, the majority of the work would be on the downstairs flat.
    I realise in the attachment I haven't left room for a door into one of the bedrooms in the upstairs, I was getting frustrated with the paint app at this point. 
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 5 August 2020 at 10:14PM
    The two flats will be likely worth more separately than they would be as a house.  

Also, a house with four beds upstairs and just one bathroom downstairs?  Rethink needed again for practicality as well as value.  

As for rough estimates.  You know, you can't really do it off a drawing of random boxes, however well intentioned!  It gives zero information on the size, structure or its condition.  It means nothing to even a trained eye because there's absolutely nothing to assess.  

You can't read a book by the cover.    

Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Sorry, I had thought that I had included the measurements🙄 yeah I was taking to my other half and we’ve decided that if we did go ahead, it would be two bathrooms, a large one upstairs and a WC style one downstairs... in regards for the cost on reselling, because of where we live, it would be more advantageous selling it as one house. We would probably get double what we would if we sold the two flats separately, but if we bought it and converted them, we wouldn’t have to move until we were older, even if we needed to move then. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback