Forum Home» Employment, Jobseeking & Training

Money Moral Dilemma: Should I accept tips because my colleagues do?

New Post Advanced Search

Money Moral Dilemma: Should I accept tips because my colleagues do?

59 replies 21.4K views
MSE_KelvinMSE_Kelvin MSE Staff
142 posts
Third Anniversary 10 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
MSE Staff
This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

I recently started as a delivery driver. During training, nothing was said about tips, though on the company intranet it says we're not allowed to accept them. Yet I've seen other drivers accept them and when I've refused to take money from some very insistent customers, they've said my colleagues all accept cash. While I know it's not strictly permitted, I could really use the extra money. 

Unfortunately the MSE team can't always answer money moral dilemma questions as contributions are often emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be a point of debate and discussed at face value. 

😲 If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
🙄 Got a Money Moral Dilemma of your own? Suggest an MMD.

Replies

• 74jax74jax Forumite
    5.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭

I recently started as a delivery driver. During training, nothing was said about tips, though on the company intranet it says we're not allowed to accept them. Yet I've seen other drivers accept them and when I've refused to take money from some very insistent customers, they've said my colleagues all accept cash. While I know it's not strictly permitted, I could really use the extra money. 

😲 If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
    🙄 Got a Money Moral Dilemma of your own? Suggest an MMD.
    If the question is as per the thread title, then no you should not. 
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • BrynsamBrynsam Forumite
    3.2K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Accept with good grace. Right now plenty of customers (I'm one of them) are extremely grateful to their delivery drivers and are very happy to show that by means of a modest tip.
  • Torry_QuineTorry_Quine Forumite
    18.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Bake Off Boss!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's up to you but just because others do doesn't mean you have to . Is it worth risking your job?
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • KatiehoundKatiehound Forumite
    5.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well it's against the rules so maybe you don't want to risk your job
    However you could always save the tips and donate them to your favourite charity- and tell customers that is what you are doing.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks

• Romney981Romney981 Forumite
    1 posts
    Second Anniversary First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I always tip delivery drivers if they are helpful.  If they are not then I don't.  It is a personal from the customer so I think you should accept them.