Notice period, furlough payments and p45

Hiya,  I'm hoping some one can lend some help/advice as I can't find anything anywhere that can!  My husband has been on furlough since March and was recently made redundant.  Luckily he has since found another job. He is owed 11 weeks notice pay which would end as soon as he found another job (this is what his ex employer originally told him) They have now told him he will continue to receive his notice pay (still furlough pay, topped up to 100%) until the  11 weeks are up (end of Sep) and wont receive his p45/redundancy pay until then. We can't understand why they are still paying the notice pay, especially as it will still be furlough payments? He's had to hand everything back...uniforms, keys etc ... he doesn't work there anymore but they've told him he's still on their payroll! He really needs his p45 and doesn't want the furlough payments as he doesn't work there anymore and will obviously be earning a wage from his new job, but there seems to be no info on what they're actually trying to do! Sorry for the long winded post and really hope some one can point us in the right direction! Many thanks

Comments

• prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,098
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    It's because they are getting his notice pay for free from the rest of us.
    And the company is satisfying any legal notice period implications.
    As for the new job, they will, I suppose, put him on an emergency tax code in the interim, but he can write to the taxman to get his code corrected once he's got his P45.
    In the meanwhile, he's being paid twice, which ain't bad...
  • Thing is, he doesn't want to be tied to his ex employer until Sep and certainly doesn't want to be paid twice, especially when they're using the furlough grant to pay his notice! Like you said...they're  using taxpayers money not their own. How can that be right? 🙂
  • kezrock
    kezrock Posts: 5
    First Post
    Forumite
    Same is happening with my hubby.  His company are using the furlough scheme to pay his 3 month notice rather than making a PILON payment.  This all means that he won't get his P45 and redundancy payment until the end of October and we are unable to make a claim on our mortgage repayments cover policy until November.  He is furious that the job retention scheme is being used in this way but ACAS have confirmed that his company are able to use the scheme for notice payments and there is nothing he can do about it.
  • ssdkck
    ssdkck Posts: 121
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    My employer is also using  furlough to pay my 12 weeks notice. My termination date is 2nd october and even though im not working my notice, im not sure if i can find new employment whilst being on furlough/notice period. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback