American Express "Shop Small" and Government "Eat Out..." discount

Options
I've just been reminded by American Express that their "Shop Small" discount is available until 13 September. This gives you £5 back on your card when you spend £10 or more in listed small shops. It seems it can be combined with the government's "Eat Out to Help Out" scheme...
So, if I go to my local pub, which is participating in both schemes, and order a £10 pizza, does it cost me:
[a] nothing, because I get the government's 50% off and then AmEx's £5; or
[b] £2.50 because I get AmEx's £5 off, then the government's 50% is applied to the remaining £5 bill; or
[c] £5, because I get the government's 50% off but as I haven't then spent £10 I don't get AmEx's £5 off?
What do you reckon?

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 32,012 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    C .....................
  • Cherry_Hinton_Blue
    Options
    Thanks – I guess the AmEx £5 off appears as a credit to the AmEx account whenever there's a £10 bill at a participating shop. Still, on that basis if I spend £20 the bill will only be £5, which is pretty amazing.
  • I used this the other day, bill should have been £64, reduced to £32 with EOTHO. I paid £10 on each of 4 cards, got £20 back from Amex, staff got an £8 tip and we had a 3 course dinner for 4 for £12 plus £8 tip!
  • fred246
    fred246 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The best bit though is that feeling that you've helped the country out in a time of crisis.
  • EH90
    Options
    I also took advantage of this, but because the restaurant I visited used the app based system where you scan a QR code on arrival then order and pay through your phone rather than via a card machine, the transaction registered as an online payment (even though I had asked my server if the scheme was still valid through this method - he said yes but, on reflection, I'm not sure if he really knew the answer). I contacted AMEX about this and they have agreed that, as I dined in and the restaurant are using this method for additional health and safety, they'll honour the £5 cashback, but it took a bit of conversation and was quite a faff. 

(P.S. This is my first post!)
  • Lj_likestosave
    Options
    For anyone in East London, a few stellar places offering both Shop Small and EOTHO:
    • Crown and shuttle
    • Homeslice (their £20 pizza becomes £5!)
    • The Bike Shed
    • Albion
    • Lahpet
    • Brawn
    • El Ganso
  • bradders1983
    bradders1983 Posts: 5,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    AMEX wont know how your bill has been calculated and I doubt they would even care. Their "offer" is seperate to the scheme.
  • Alix09
    Options
    oh, thanks)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family