Garage Conversion Added value

Hi, I’m looking to convert my garage and downstairs toilet into a bedroom & en-suite bathroom. I have plenty of driveway space for off road parking, plenty loft and a shed space too. The initial quotes I have are higher than I expected (~16k) and that’s before I choose a higher spec bathroom suite and tiles. My house is worth around £310-320,000. Will I gain value added to my property? TIA

Replies

• Robin9Robin9 Forumite
    8.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Do the conversion to suit your families needs -  it may or may not add value. - some people may want a garage.

It's surprising how much floor area you loose when you convert a garage - wall insulation, plaster board etc can take up 150mm on every wall  - similar on the floor and ceiling.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • ekko11ekko11 Forumite
    2 Posts
    First Post
    Thanks Robin, the garage walls are insulated already in the cavities so less insulation needed internally. Ceiling I’m 
    going vaulted to create a greater sense of space and the flooring has ample space to insulate beneath. Width of room is likely to be around 2.6m. Bathroom 2.6x2m and room 2.6x3.8m. I’m going to be using it as a study but thinking ahead to elderly parent etc. I’d also want to make sure I’m adding value above the costs as I have the luxury of space already but both myself and partner work at home a lot more and will continue to do so. 
  • savingwannabesavingwannabe Forumite
    15.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi ekko, it's a great idea I think. I am wondering if there is a building forum on MSE where you might get more ideas? 
    Try to have a minimal spend year in 2021
    Saving change in money box.
  • IrenadlerIrenadler Forumite
    884 Posts
    500 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Hi ekko

I am not an expert, but, many moons ago worked in an estate agents. The advice given then was 'If it adds extra space, it adds extra value', and anything else was regarded as 'cosmetic' but a good selling point. If that helps? Failing that, you could telephone an estate agent, some might be friendly enough to tell you if a conversion rather than an extension will add value? Hope that helps....
    "...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains however improbable, must be the truth..."
    "Mastering a low budget lifestyle now, means you are set for life" quote by 'Miss Babs'

Dog's 'Pot o' Gold' = £23.85
    Household maintenance = 0
    Prolific Academic = £41.64
  • pleasedeletepleasedelete Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    My daughter was looking for a house earlier this year and looked at several houses on 1 estate, the one that had converted the garage was the cheapest and didn't sell when the others did. It was a poor quality conversion with no additional windows but the main reason was the loss of the garage which is desirable for the area apparently. They had left the first few feet of the garage and the door. 
    June challenge £100 a day £3161.63 plus £350 vouchers plus £108.37 food/shopping saving

July challenge £50 a day. £ 1682.50/1550

October challenge £100 a day. £385/£3100