Forum Home» Benefits & Tax Credits

How multiple HMRC transactions effect universal credit

New Post Advanced Search

How multiple HMRC transactions effect universal credit

4 replies 261 views
I returned part of overpaid salary this month. On HMRC, I can see two transactions, one is positive which is my usual salary, other is negative that is the returned overpaid amount. Both are reported on same date, Will universal credit take into account A-B as both A and -B are reported in current assessment period?

Replies

• pmlindyloopmlindyloo Forumite
    12.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sajida12 said:
    I returned part of overpaid salary this month. On HMRC, I can see two transactions, one is positive which is my usual salary, other is negative that is the returned overpaid amount. Both are reported on same date, Will universal credit take into account A-B as both A and -B are reported in current assessment period?

If you have received an overpayment of your salary then, presumably you have received it (and spent it?).  So, this extra salary will already have been taken into account in one of your previous assessment period?
    If this is correct then this assessment period they will take your 'normal' salary into account and not deduct the overpayment (as you have in actual fact received this).
    Hope this makes sense!
  • sajida12sajida12 Forumite
    5 posts
    First Post
    It is different in a sense that for the previous assessment, I didn't receive any UC due to being overlimit. This negative amount in current assessment is balancing it
  • pmlindyloopmlindyloo Forumite
    12.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sajida12 said:
    It is different in a sense that for the previous assessment, I didn't receive any UC due to being overlimit. This negative amount in current assessment is balancing it
    Yes, but you were over the limit because you had been overpaid which made your UC payment nil.  You still have received the extra money through the overpayment of your wages.
    This assessment period they will just use your 'normal wage'.
  • sajida12sajida12 Forumite
    5 posts
    First Post
    Thanks, correct, UC was nil due to being over limit, had this overpayment not been done, I would have got my full UC entitlement that month. Shouldn't it work like that, I received A+B in earlier month. I returned B and received A this month, effectively making it A-B this month. Otherwise, it will mean I will miss one UC payment due to this error and it cannot be corrected even if I have returned the overpayment.