How do I get these off / out of the bricks?

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
Hi guys,

Just removed an old canopy awning from the house and I can't work out how I'm going to remove whats left behind...

The threads with the nuts still on are locked solid and just turn in their sleeves.

The bare threads are looked in their sleeves.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Comments

• stuart45
    stuart45 Posts: 3,987 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You could either cut out the bricks and replace them of stitch drill around them and then remove them and fill up the holes.
  • markin
    markin Posts: 3,844 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Cut them off and drill them out not easy on a ladder. Or with a masonry bit drill a big hole next to them and hit it out, or many small 5mm holes around it? let us know what worked
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    If it's a shield anchor you might be able to turn the thread and it will detach from the plug on the end of the thread. Once the thread is out, you can use pliers to twist the shield parts, separate them and remove them.

If it's a sleeve anchor you probably won't be able to get it out unless you drill it out.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    stator said: If it's a shield anchor you might be able to turn the thread and it will detach from the plug on the end of the thread. Once the thread is out, you can use pliers to twist the shield parts, separate them and remove them.
    If it is the type described by stator, give the stud a good whack with a hammer to drive the plug further down the sleeve. Fingers crossed that the sleeves haven't been set in resin or driving the slug further in doesn't expand the end of the sleeve.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • Swasterix
    Swasterix Posts: 336 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Could try putting the nut back on and using a pry bar to pull them out. 
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Swasterix said:
    Could try putting the nut back on and using a pry bar to pull them out. 
    With a sleeve/shield anchor you have to do the opposite - like FreeBear suggested. Hammer the bolt in a little, then try to pull out the sleeve, possibly rotating it.
    Easyfix  Sleeve Anchor Yellow Zinc 16 x 145mm M12 10 Pack    Easyfix Shield Anchor Stud Type M10 x 95mm 5 Pack

• stragglebod
    stragglebod Posts: 1,324 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 2 August 2020 at 10:22PM
    If they're sleeve anchors Gosforth Handyman did a video on these and talked about ways to remove them

• floppydisk1
    floppydisk1 Posts: 184 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Or cut it off with angle grinder,  hack saw or ideally metal attachment on a multitool - that one is easiest to control  and  best if you don't want to cut all over brick.
  • Thanks for the suggestions guys, appreciated! I really don;t want to start having to pull bricks so I'll be looking at the other options  :)

My Dad's coming over tomorrow to have a look so will report back...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback