IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Parkingeye CCJ letter

Options
Good afternoon. I'll keep this as short as I can, but would really appreciate some advice or guidance. I have today received a CCJ letter from Parkingeye (defaulted in their favour because of my lack of a defence against Parkingeye's claim). In January of this year I took my car to Halfords to have a dashcam fitted. The parking time limit is 2 hours. I overstayed by 11 minutes. In my view (correctly or otherwise) Halfords were responsible for my car during the fitting which took them about an hour. So, for 1hour and 11minutes I was responsible for my car...the other 60 minutes Halfords. I did not feel the need to appeal as I was certain that I had not done anything wrong. Could anyone please advise me if my line of thinking is correct. I have the receipts from Halfords for the dashcam fitting.  My partner had exactly the same thing happen to her for exactly the same reason but she was 35 minutes over the allowable time but still within the 2 hours taking into account the hour Halfords had her car for .  We both now have to pay £197 each plus we now both have a CCJ against us. To further my line of thinking, we both parked our cars in the "normal" car park spaces and then Halfords moved them in to their "fitting bay" outside their store (but still within the same car park). Thank you for taking the time to read this and I look forward to receiving some response.

Comments

• Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,322 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 1 August 2020 at 2:20PM
    Options
    You say you have received a CCJ letter from ParkingEye; does it quote County Court reference numbers and does it give the date of the judgment?  It is unusual for the PPC to send you a letter telling you this, it would normally come from a court in the form of a "notice of judgment or order".  If you do indeed have a CCJ then you will need to apply for a set-aside first and then be prepared (sounds like you have a solid defence) to defend the original claim.  See the NEWBIE sticky for advice on this.
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 1 August 2020 at 3:13PM
    Options
    Did you both ignore the PCN letters , the reminder letters , plus ignore the actual court claims from the CCBC in Northampton ?

If yes , that was stubborn and foolish

Obtaining set asides would be hard to do if official court papers were ignored

Both of you should have complained to the landowner or managing Gent for the retail site , plus complained to the CEO of Halfords

Both of you should have appealed to Parking Eye

Both of you should have appealed to Popla

Both of you should have defended the Court claims
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,777 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    If you ignored a court claim form N1 that was stupid (sorry, it's true). 
    Did you? Oh dear. 

This was so easy to appeal, or defend, and Halfords could have cancelled the PCN at the time.  Not now!

(a) If the judgment date is less then 30 days ago, you can pay it in full and there will be NO CCJ LEFT ON FILE.

OR

(b) If the judgment date is longer ago than 30 days, DO NOT PAY IT.  Email P/Eye to ask for their terms of consent to set it aside and give your reasons and story and copy in the Head Office of Halfords.  It will cost you a court fee but P/Eye might reduce the sum to pay them:

enforcement@parkingeye.co.uk

Use that email, ONLY if (b) is true.    Not for (a).

You must do (a) or (b).
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Have you actually received a County Court Judgment, or have you perhaps received a County Court Claim Form?
  • D_P_Dance
    D_P_Dance Posts: 11,503 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 2 August 2020 at 9:45AM
    Options
    In matters such as this, 100% accuracy is a sine qua non.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback