Can Anyone Help With A Letter From DWP?

New Post Advanced Search

Can Anyone Help With A Letter From DWP?

7 replies 472 views
LocoLocoLocoLoco Forumite
344 posts
Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭
Morning all, I wondered if anyone can help translate a letter I've received regarding my son's PIP award (I'm his appointee).
His original award was in 2018, Enhanced Rate Care and Mobility and was due to be reviewed in 2022.  We had a letter earlier this year to say they'd reviewed the rates and it was going up slightly.  This morning I've received a letter saying that they've looked at his award, he is still entitled to the same rates but now it says 'for an ongoing period'.
Does that mean there isn't a date now to review periodically or is saying 'an ongoing period' not really relevant?  Would be great to understand what they mean.  There's not been any change in circumstances regarding his health but he has finished college now so he's currently on UC with a fit note and we're waiting for a WCA date to come through.
Many thanks to anyone that can help :)

Replies

• poppy12345poppy12345 Forumite
    10.2K posts
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ongoing means the maximum award length of 10 years.
  • LocoLocoLocoLoco Forumite
    344 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Ongoing means the maximum award length of 10 years.

Wow, that's brilliant, thank you so much for clarifying, Poppy!  I'd just started thinking that I'd better start looking into requesting assessments for him so we had up to date information in place ready for the next time he's assessed and that would mean I don't need to do anything for a while.  What great news, thank you so much :)
  • Margaret_100Margaret_100 Forumite
    68 posts
    10 Posts
    You will need very similar up to date evidence for the WCA but ideally explaining why your son is unable to work to support the UC 50 form or perhaps you have already collected this and submitted?  All face to face assessments have been suspended for the time being but telephone assessments may be made or a desk top assessment carried out
  • Little_miss_dfwLittle_miss_dfw Forumite
    14 posts
    10 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    My son has an ongoing award. It says they will contact me/his appointee in 10 years to see if things are still the same. I'm assuming this means if say no change that will be it for another length of time and I won't actually have to reapply in 10 years for him
    JUNE 2020.                              NOW.
    DEBT- £2182.67.                 -£1599.60
    XMAS- £260/£520.            £350/520
    BDAYS- £440/520.             £10/520
    E FUND- £17OO.                £2000
    S  T C -£155.91.                 £188.15
  • poppy12345poppy12345 Forumite
    10.2K posts
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My son has an ongoing award. It says they will contact me/his appointee in 10 years to see if things are still the same. I'm assuming this means if say no change that will be it for another length of time and I won't actually have to reapply in 10 years for him

No one knows what will happen once those 10 years have passed because no one has reached that point yet. PIP was only introduced in April 2013.
  • edited 2 August at 10:06AM
    Robbie64Robbie64 Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    edited 2 August at 10:06AM
    The DWP have said that the 10 year review in an ongoing award will be a "light touch review" but have not yet clarified what that will consist of. As poppy12345 has posted no-one has reached that stage as yet due to PIP only being a relatively recent benefit.
    A light touch review suggests something less than a full review. Possibly they will just ask for confirmation of certain things.

• calcotticalcotti Forumite
    8.9K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    As at June 2019
    https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/582775/response/1385227/attach/html/2/FOI2019 21927 Reply.pdf.html
    The light touch process has yet to be fully designed (the first ones will not be due until 2023 – 
    10 years after PIP was first introduced) but we would not expect it to involve a full assessment 
    unless something has significantly changed.  The review is intended to maintain a minimum 
    level of contact with claimants.  We will involve our stakeholders in designing the review 
    process so that it adds value and best meets the needs of our claimants.  

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.