Forum Home» Benefits & Tax Credits

Confused - NS JSA or UC or both?!?!?!

New Post Advanced Search

Confused - NS JSA or UC or both?!?!?!

5 replies 121 views
Hi Money savers!!  B)
I'm confused and not ashamed to admit it!  :D
Ive recently submitted a UC claim (waiting the dreaded 5 weeks now) but entitledto suggests i claim NS JSA as well but it is the only calculator (so far) that suggests this?  :/
I'm really confused, do I need to claim this, ive checked the forum and cant see any other post about this except the differing NI contributions, is there anything else I need to know?  :|
#genuinely confused............
thanks in advance!!
 :) 
Every day is a school day :T:T:T

Replies

• edited 1 August at 11:19AM
    poppy12345poppy12345 Forumite
    10.1K posts
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 1 August at 11:19AM
    There's no financial gain if you do claim them both together because NSJSA is deducted in full from any UC entitlement. The only differences are NSJSA is not means tested and it pays class 1 NI, where as UC is means tested and pays class3.
    It's also paid fortnightly but only lasts for 26 weeks. UC is paid monthly.
  • whiteroom184whiteroom184 Forumite
    225 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    There's no financial gain if you do claim them both together because NSJSA is deducted in full from any UC entitlement. The only differences are NSJSA is not means tested and it pays class 1 NI, where as UC is means tested and pays class3.
    It's also paid fortnightly but only lasts for 26 weeks. UC is paid monthly.
    thanks, but do I have to claim both? this is where im getting confused? Or will my existing UC claim be the same?

thanks
    Every day is a school day :T:T:T
  • poppy12345poppy12345 Forumite
    10.1K posts
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, you don't have to claim both, it's entirely up to you. UC has replaced the old style JSA.
  • TheShapeTheShape Forumite
    1.6K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Worth having a think about whether you want those class 1 NI contributions.  Whether you're better/worse of claiming one or the other or both might depend on your circumstances (single/couple, partner working/not working, rent/no rent, children/no children, savings).

Re the five week wait, you could consider a new claim advance if needed but you'll still be waiting five weeks to know exactly what your first payment will be.
  • TheShapeTheShape Forumite
    1.6K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    There's no financial gain if you do claim them both together because NSJSA is deducted in full from any UC entitlement. 
    Unless the UC award has a (large enough) deduction for savings/investments (capital) or the first award of UC has a deduction for earnings received in the first assessment period.