PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

First purchase - go for flat or stretch to a house?

Options
TDH_91
TDH_91 Posts: 16 Forumite
First Post
edited 31 July 2020 at 9:53PM in House buying, renting & selling
Age 26, currently considering going for a flat or stretching to a house. I can purchase up around £420k with a 15% deposit.

In the areas I'm interested, flats go for between 300-375k. Houses start at 390k in bad areas, but in equivalent decent areas they will be at least 400k for a 2 bed and 3 beds will be around 420k which need work. 
I would like a house, but I am not sure if I should stretch myself that much given I am buying alone. Flats do appeal in some ways given they are cheaper, however dealing with leaseholds, checking if the flat is affected by the cladding issues, bad neighbours etc etc. seems like a massive pain in the !!!!!!. It's obviously also harder to add value to a flat. 

None of these will be my forever homes, however I could probably stay put longer in a house - though with a flat I would have the option to keeping it and renting it out whilst buying my next place (salary expected to increase). It'd be harder if I were to buy a house as they are dearer. 

Comments

• dimbo61
    dimbo61 Posts: 13,716 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Cladding on a house ?
    Flats may have cladding but 98% of houses don't.
    £420K would buy a 4/5 bed detached house with double garage and large garden round here so maybe down South or London ?
    House every time.
    Your looking for a home first not an investment.
  • El_Torro
    El_Torro Posts: 1,463 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I think this largely comes down to personal preference. Personally I’ve always bought flats as I prefer them to houses. If you don’t like the downsides of living in a flat though why buy one?

Since this is the MSE forum I’d just like to add that you should be careful not to put all your available money into a mortgage whilst ignoring your pension and other investments. No point living in a mansion if you have no money with which to retire.
  • TDH_91
    First Post
    Options
    London, sorry meant cladding on flats. 420k buys a 2 bed or a 3 bed with work required.
  • steampowered
    steampowered Posts: 6,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Personally I would go for the more expensive property. You are more likely to want to stay in the property longer, which is better for the long term.

The mortgage lenders won't let you overstretch. You can typically only borrow up to 4.5x - 5x your salary which is fine.

It sounds like you have a £63,000 deposit and can take up to a £357,000 mortgage - which means you earn a salary of £75k or so. With that sort of salary you do have plenty of leeway to continue paying the mortgage even if your income was to decrease.

• RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,663 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    2 bed or more means you can rent a room. Tax free income. 

And do check the management fees for flats.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • TDH_91
    First Post
    Options
    Houses will be similar to property-83272967.html in right move, so I would have very little left if I did decide to go for one
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 31 July 2020 at 10:23PM
    Options
    26 and earning approx 75k....nice! What do you do?!

I'd go for a flat given your age :smile:
  • Beeboo23
    Beeboo23 Posts: 200 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    TDH_91 said:
    Houses will be similar to property-83272967.html in right move, so I would have very little left if I did decide to go for one
    From what you’ve said you’re the same age as me and we make similar amounts of money. I’ve decided
    to go for a house over a flat because I’d want to stay there longer. If you want to go for a house is it possible to stay where you are for a bit longer and save up a bigger deposit so you’re not too stretched on the mortgage? I have borrowed significantly less than the bank would lend me but houses are cheaper up north. I have friends in my position who have stretched to the very top of their budget and I have watched them be eaten alive by huge mortgage payments and bills and struggle to keep a float. Don’t forget to account for council tax, gas, water, electric, internet, general repairs etc when working out what you can afford. They thought the jobs were 100% secure but they’ve ended up in a huge house eating beans on toast every day and super noodles not being able to sleep at night. I’ve gone for a much cheaper house on the basis that there’s much more wiggle room should something happen. So my advice would be if you’re going to be stretched wait and save up more if you want a house. If you’re happy with a flat maybe that’s a better option if they’re cheaper. 
    Debt free October 2020 🎉

FTB 12 2020 🥳

Life happens fund £10000/£10000 filled 11/22

Investing towards my first 10k (done Jan 24)

now working towards first 25k
    10,300/25,000
  • iampetesmith
    Options
    For me, I went for the biggest I could comfortably afford as I intend to stay there. We have one toddler at the moment, but I bought a 3 bed house with decent sized bedrooms as we want another kid in the future, which means the house is big enough so that we don't have to move again.

If you buy somewhere, it's best to stay in it for a while so consider the size you'd need in the future.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Consider the running costs of houses because they'll be far more numerous than a flat (obviously !)
    So on your pro's and con's list - decide whether you'd like your monthly disposable income going on larger scale maintenance or pleasure etc. this needs to be thought through.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback