Has anyone else had issues when the raise a query about RAC Vehicle History Report

hoppyda
hoppyda Posts: 9 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary
I requested and paid £14.99 for a vehicle history check - https://vehicle-history-check.rac.co.uk/  for a car I was intending to buy. The report was sent to me via email and there were 3 issues highlighted. The first was plate changes, which I was aware of. The second and third were linked, showing 'The mileage history for this vehicle is unavailable' and 'This vehicles MOT test may be expired. Please check the expiry dates below.'  Reading the MOT History section of the report showed the most recent MOT for the car appeared to have expired in February 2019.
A check on the DVLA website confirmed that the vehicle had a current MOT and from my reading of the DVLA history, there were no anomalies in the mileage either.
I contacted RAC via their online form to query this and got no response. I followed this up with a phone call with the person I spoke to saying that she was new to the role and would have to speak to a supervisor as she was unable to resolve my query. I requested that she call me back as soon as possible as I wanted to confirm that all was in order to enable me to purchase the car. No return call was received.
I made a second call to RAC and the person I spoke to this time suggested it was an issue with one of their data providers. He would contact them and ask them to investigate, promising to come back to me by the end of the day with an update on progress. No return call was received.
I then completed a second online request explaining the situation and my frustration at not getting a response. I have not had the courtesy of a reply to that either.
Seems very much a case of 'we've got your money and we don't care if would we've provided is rubbish'
Has anyone else had an experience like this?

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,551 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Whats the query?  Its plain in the description   "The mileage  history is unavailable"   Nobody filled in the
    optional mileage option when buying/selling.

Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• My query was mainly in relation to the missing MOT history - the car has a current MOT and has had one carried out at the appropriate time in its life - I've had sight of recent MOTs and have verified them against DVLA records.  
    RAC have maintained that their report was correct even when presented with clear evidence of the MOT history.  They refuse to even acknowledge that this is an issue, pointing the finger at their data suppliers.  That's all very well, but if I were in RAC's position, I'd be asking my data suppliers why the MOT history provided by them is incomplete when it is clearly visible on the DVLA website.
    I've been in touch with my credit card company asking them to chargeback the transaction as the report from RAC is incomplete and not for for purpose.
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    hoppyda said:
    My query was mainly in relation to the missing MOT history - the car has a current MOT and has had one carried out at the appropriate time in its life - I've had sight of recent MOTs and have verified them against DVLA records.  
    RAC have maintained that their report was correct even when presented with clear evidence of the MOT history.  They refuse to even acknowledge that this is an issue, pointing the finger at their data suppliers.  That's all very well, but if I were in RAC's position, I'd be asking my data suppliers why the MOT history provided by them is incomplete when it is clearly visible on the DVLA website.
    I've been in touch with my credit card company asking them to chargeback the transaction as the report from RAC is incomplete and not for for purpose.
    That's all very well, but you are not the RAC, does the agreement indicate that the report includes all historic MOT results?
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    hoppyda said:
    Bit excessive.

They didn't include one detail. You got it elsewhere trivially easily.

And you want a full refund for that?
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    AdrianC said:
    Bit excessive.

He paid for them to find out the trivially easy stuff. If they can't even do that, what have they missed, and what was the point of paying them through the nose to do a job that he could do better himself?

The older I get the more I detest paying "professionals" to do a poor job, that I know I would have done properly- why can't they?

I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • DUTR said:
    hoppyda said:
    My query was mainly in relation to the missing MOT history - the car has a current MOT and has had one carried out at the appropriate time in its life - I've had sight of recent MOTs and have verified them against DVLA records.  
    That's all very well, but you are not the RAC, does the agreement indicate that the report includes all historic MOT results?
    Their blurb states 'complete history check of the car' and the checklist of items included specifies MOT history.  Given that MOT history is readily available from DVLA, that's the least I would have expected to be shown.
  • AdrianC said:
    hoppyda said:
    Bit excessive.

If I'd just wanted the MOT history then I would simply have used the DVLA website, but I'm paying someone to provide 'complete history check of the car', then I don't think it unreasonable to expect the full MOT history to be there.  As facade says, if they can't even provide the trivial stuff, what else have they missed.  The report also includes a valuation of the car, but as the mileage used was 3 years out of date, then the valuation was useless too.  What really annoyed me was RAC's insistence that the report was correct, even in the face of clear evidence that it was not - that is what drove me to seek a chargeback of the transaction.
  • sweetsand
    sweetsand Posts: 1,826 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Hey OP
    You have a valid point, no matter what some of the others have stated.
    You have every right to be frustrated, angry etc.
    RAC is a trsuted name and one would expect a good service from them

Sadly, this Covid thing appears to have slowed everthing down
    other than Tescos customer services.

They should give you your money back they way they have treated you.

What do you want?
    For most people the amount you mentioned is not large.
    May I suggest one final cocnsce email to them and demand you money back, sit back and
    IMO there is a decent chance you will get you money back

IMO its not worth mre of your effort than what I have stated.
    HTH
    ATB
    x
  • My credit card company have charged back the transaction!
  • fred246
    fred246 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    I remember a discussion with the credit card people. Anything under £20 they can't be bothered to argue about. It costs them more to argue. I am not sure who pays the bill.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback