Land owned

Options
Not sure if this is in the correct forum
I bought a new build 3 yrs ago, with a walled in garden but on the otherside of that wall (wide open to the public)  is a piece of land that belongs to us as well, we are expected to maintain the land even though dogs foul on it and cars keep parking on it.
1- Can I move the wall to enclose the land or would I need planning permission?
2- How would I go about selling the piece of land to the council, (if i could) as they maintain all the land at the front of the house?
Thanks

Comments

• Astrozombies
    Options
    Put a fence around it?
    Signs saying Private Property?
  • nicd75
    nicd75 Posts: 4 Newbie
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Got private land signs up, which are ignored.
    Would i require planning permission for a wall but not for a fence? Thanks
  • Ant555
    Ant555 Posts: 1,569 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    edited 31 July 2020 at 4:10PM
    Options
    I think even a fence may also require permission if over a certain size and/or adjacent to a carriageway.  From memory, in my area, over 1m high requires permission if its going up next to a road, 1m or less doesn't require permision.   2m or less is fine in most other cases.  Does your council have a planning guide on their web site

Hope this helps
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You may well find that there is a covenant in your deeds regarding that strip of land  (though whether or not anyone would enforce that covenant is another matter).  It might be reserved for services (electricity, cable TV, etc.), even though it's your land.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • greatcrested
    greatcrested Posts: 5,925 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 31 July 2020 at 9:22PM
    Options
    Read your Land Registry Title and check for any covenants stopping you from removing the existing wall or putting up a wall round this land.
    If there are no such covenants you can remove the wall.
    Putting up a new wall or fence only requires Planning Permission if its above a certain height and/or next to a highway. Read

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Why go to the expense of moving a wall when you could simply plant up the land with appropriate shrubs and stick a low hedge around 3 sides?  (assuming there are no restrictive covenants forbidding planting.
  • Rosa_Damascena
    Rosa_Damascena Posts: 6,283 Forumite
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Davesnave said:
    Why go to the expense of moving a wall when you could simply plant up the land with appropriate shrubs and stick a low hedge around 3 sides?  (assuming there are no restrictive covenants forbidding planting.
    Unlike a wall, this conveys no benefit to the OP and requires upkeep. I'd rather have the extra garden.
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.

So much to read, so little time.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Davesnave said:
    Unlike a wall, this conveys no benefit to the OP and requires upkeep. I'd rather have the extra garden.
    Maybe it benefits the community. This is a newly built estate where the street scene will have been considered, so sticking up walls and removing what green space there is may degrade the environment. Repeat this a few times as others follow suit and the area becomes less desirable. It's not an accident the most expensive place I ever lived in has trees and bushes outwith people's private gardens.
    You also seem to be saying that one can't enjoy sharing plants with others; that the extra garden is only extra if it's inside one's own walls where, apparently, it won't need maintenance! I must be odd then, because I don't mind a shrub bed or other garden open to the road. Go along my road hedgerows and you'll also find daffs in spring, honesty and roses, all introduced to brighten-up the general scene. Where I live is quite well known for this sort of thing, so I'm not alone. I would rather live here than in some urban areas where there are just rows of stark houses and concreted-over front gardens.

• jack123w
    jack123w Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You need planning permission for anything that constitutes ‘development’. Development is: “the carrying out of building, engineering, mining or other operation in, on, over or under land, or the making of any material change in the use of any building or other land.”

You will need planning permission to put up fencing/hedging/a wall there if it enclosed the land to make it part of the garden as it’s a material change of use.
  • nicd75
    Options
    We have a relatively small garden and our land on the other side of the wall is twice along as our garden.
    We want to incorporate this in our plans for the garden.
    As for taking green space, its my land so in theory should be enclosed anyway.
    The whole of the front of our street is grassed areas and small trees which aren't owned by the buyers but owned and maintained by the council, so its a very green area anyway
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback