Pay for self isolation for returning to the UK

Options
Hi,  i wonder if anyone knows any way to get any pay if you've returned from Spain since the changes. There is no SSP and if you've not been furloughed before, you can't now be placed on furlough... so for anyone who was in Spain at the time of announcement is stuck without any pay unless their boss is nice.... that's the way it's looking, am I right?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It's a discussion you need to have with your employer.
  • Nebulous2
    Nebulous2 Posts: 5,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It's going to be very individual. Many people are working from home, and may continue without much impact. Some people may take annual leave, others may have to take unpaid leave.
  • Faye83
    Faye83 Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    My employer is saying they will not pay sick or SSP, I only have 1 day holiday left and I have worked the whole time. I was hoping they may extend the furlough exemption to people in self-isolation with no warning but it looks like no pay at all for 2 weeks. I cannot claim jobseekers or work for anyone else either.... seems a bit backward!?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Backward?  In what way?
  • Faye83
    First Post
    Options
    Backward?  In what way?
    In that I have carried on working to avoid another furlough payment, unwittingly went on a break, without knowing I was going to have to self isolate at no notice and not being helped out because 1) I haven't been furloughed at all 2) I don't already claim benefits and 3) am not having any symptoms. 
  • bradders1983
    bradders1983 Posts: 5,684 Forumite
    Options
    Take it as annual leave, then you get paid for it.
  • Faye83
    First Post
    Options
    i only have one day holiday left....
  • bradders1983
    bradders1983 Posts: 5,684 Forumite
    Options
    I assume you are in Spain at the moment then? If not, then simply dont go.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,203 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Yes, your employer is not obliged to pay for it and I don't think you they could pay you SSP as you are not sick.
    the government guidance  (extract below, bolding mine) explicitly says that you won't qualify for the extra Covid SSP, unless you meet the criteria for the SSP - being required to quarantine because you have been out of the country is not enough. 

"The repayment will cover up to 2 weeks SSP starting from the first qualifying day of sickness, if an employee is unable to work because they:
    • have coronavirus symptoms
    • are self-isolating because someone they live with has symptoms
    • are self-isolating because they’ve been notified by the NHS or public health bodies that they’ve come into contact with someone with coronavirus
    • are shielding and have a letter from the NHS or a GP telling them to stay at home for at least 12 weeks

From 8 June 2020, the majority of people entering or returning to the UK will be required to quarantine for 14 days. If an employee is unable to work during this period, they will not qualify for SSP unless they also meet one of the above criteria."

Unfortunately this means that if you are caught by the new quarantine rules the cost will fall on you rather then your employer or the government.  

You could ask whether your employer was willing to advance you part of your next wages to help you spread th cost, but they don't have any obligation to do that .

If your job is one which can be done from home you could also request that you be allowed to work from home for the 2 weeks you have to quarantine, but that may not be possible,especially if you are not already set up for home working. 

All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • JamoLew
    JamoLew Posts: 1,800 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Faye83 said:
    i only have one day holiday left....
    can you bring some forward from next year ?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback