Only employee not back to work

Options
Hi I am the manager of a small shop, All five people have been brought back to work Apart from myself. It’s parts of a large chain so being paid 100% furloughed wages, I am just very concerned that if the head office can see the team can Cope without me (a manager from another store is visiting them once a fortnight and is at the end of the phone to help them) that I will be made redundant, has anyone else had this problem? Thank you

Comments

• adamp87
    adamp87 Posts: 862 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    It’s a bit odd you haven’t been brought back first as other retailers that I know with friends working were first to be back to set up etc. Especially if you are the manager.

Could be it’s still cheaper due to furlough to have your salary off for now maybe. Have you asked anyone At work the question? 
  • sharpe106
    sharpe106 Posts: 3,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    There is nothing you can do about it, as generally the person in charge is the one you bring back first, so they will be hoping they can run it without a manager. So the question you need to ask yourself is can they? and if the answer is yes I would be looking for another job just in case.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Does your team of 5 have a supervisor? 
  • wayforward2020
    Options
    Hi thanks for replies no there isn’t a supervisor but one member of the team has been asked to be the spokesperson to be ‘the go between’ to the area manager, I have asked when I am returning but keep being told I will get 48 hours notice when it’s time. The takings are the same as before lock down so they seem to be coping which is a worry to me.
  • sillyvixen
    sillyvixen Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My manager is in the same position, on furlough while the rest of the team is back in some form or another, I myself am working in a different roll elsewhere. Capacity is down due to social distancing, I have been in contact with my manager who tells me she does not know when she will be called back as the company are looking into 'multi site' managers, i expect to be redeployed for the foreseeable future but am now concerned for my managers job security!!
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
  • sharpe106
    sharpe106 Posts: 3,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    A lot of companies will be finding out they can cope without employees as the work will still be getting done. Going to be another down side of the scheme. With the exception of looking for work elsewhere not a lot else you can do at the moment. 
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi thanks for replies no there isn’t a supervisor but one member of the team has been asked to be the spokesperson to be ‘the go between’ to the area manager, I have asked when I am returning but keep being told I will get 48 hours notice when it’s time. The takings are the same as before lock down so they seem to be coping which is a worry to me.
    While takings maybe unchanged. Costs have most certainly increased. The losses during lockdown also need to be recouped. The business as a whole may have borrowed sizable sums to continue to operate through lockdown. 
  • superbigal
    superbigal Posts: 601 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sound like an absolute no brainer to me to let you go.   Presumably you actually had some tasks that are not being handled ?
  • wayforward2020
    Options
    I am starting to doubt I will be back, the admin part has half been done by the ‘multi store manager’ and the passwords have been given to the team so they can do a few tasks too. I know they are struggling with the office based part as they are more used to the shop floor, but they have phone support from the bigger branches. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback