Germany flight cancellations

I have a short break to Berlin booked for September. Flights are with EasyJet and have just been cancelled and I can’t work out why.  I can’t find anything online about any travel restrictions to Germany but also can’t find any airlines offering flights before October. Does anyone know why this is please?

I have accommodation booked separately but unsure if I can cancel on the grounds that I can’t get there - my travel insurance have told me to speak to my credit card company and my credit card company have told me to contact my travel insurance. Any ideas what I should do?

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,418
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    EasyJet, as with other airlines, are still some way short of their full flying programme so have been cancelling many flights without being compelled to do so by government-imposed travel restrictions.  I'm not aware of any reason why no airline would be flying there though!

Travel insurers expect policyholders to recover losses from travel providers and/or card providers before considering claims as a last resort - the first thing to do is to establish the cancellation terms for your accommodation, to see if you are able to get any or all of your money back from them.  If you're not entitled to a refund from them, your card company won't be able to help so that would just put you back to the insurer (with your evidence of not being able to recover losses), does your insurance provide offer reimbursement in these circumstances (if no other party will refund you)?
  • bradders1983
    bradders1983 Posts: 5,684
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Surely some airlines are. Which airports and on which date?
  • diego_94
    diego_94 Posts: 222
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    EasyJet have just cancelled my return flight from Berlin Schoenfield to Lgw on 20th sept. Outgoing to tegel is ok. It looks like they are stopping all flights to schoenfield as there are no alternatives to that airport
  • Yeah fair enough, might have been a bit over dramatic there 😂

We were due to fly out from Manchester on 28th September and return on 30th September.  I’ve had a look and can’t find any direct flights on those days.

The hotel have said that they aren’t able to move our booking so I’d like to get my money back if possible.  So based on the above I can’t cancel, the credit card company won’t be able to help so it’s back to the insurer with proof of the cancellation terms of the hotel?

Cheers for the replies!
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Easyjet is undergoing major restructuring surgery to cut costs. With regards to just Germany, Easyjet is closing one of it's two bases (Dortmund) and axing 16 aircraft based in Berlin. All of which is going to amount to a sizable rescheduling of many of it's services. 
  • bradders1983
    bradders1983 Posts: 5,684
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Ryanair is showing direct flights to SXF on the days in question on Skyscanner, no idea if that is accurate if you look directly on the Ryanair site.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback