Debenhams not accepting cash

My mother (70+) has been shopping with Debenhams using her store card as payment for goods as she describes 'from the beginning' so maybe 15/20 years. Every month she goes in store and pays (clearing outstanding balance) at the payment desk. Yesterday she went in as always, with her payment slip to clear her balance ( around £10) the assistant refused her cash payment, mumbling some thing to do with Covid. My mother when querying this, pointed out that they were still accepting cash for payment for goods, so what was the difference? No logical response was given.  She has now written to complain to Debenhams as there has been no update to the paying slip she receives monthly with this infromation. She is convinced that they are pushing her towards paying online which she is uncomfortable in doing. As a result she has decided to no longer shop with them using their points/store card and is closing the account. Had anyone else had any similar issues? 

Comments

• Sandtree
    Sandtree Posts: 10,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Or if she doesnt like online banking, pay online for her and take the £10 from her.

The general guidance is to not use cash and so perhaps the real question is why the store is... but then knowing their financial position they'll probably accept anything at all right now.
  • I've doublechecked with her. She was wanting to pay with her card also and they refused the payment saying 'that since they were taken over the paying in system has changed, but not sure why'. There was a sign saying payments were not being accepted on the desk with a phone number. Apparently this has been the case for 4-6wks, although when she phoned the message says 2wks?? 
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,314 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    So it’s not an issue about paying with cash, it’s that they no longer accept payments to store card accounts in store?
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    As explained on their website:
    "Debenhams in-store payments

The option to make payments in-store is currently unavailable. However, you can continue to make payments through our Online Account Manager or your Debenhams card app. You can also make payments by Direct Debit, your bank’s telephone or internet banking, standing order, or by posting a cheque to us. You’ll find full details on these payment options on the back of your statement."

• Takmon
    Takmon Posts: 1,738 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    cath3933 said:
    My mother (70+) has been shopping with Debenhams using her store card as payment for goods as she describes 'from the beginning' so maybe 15/20 years. Every month she goes in store and pays (clearing outstanding balance) at the payment desk. Yesterday she went in as always, with her payment slip to clear her balance ( around £10) the assistant refused her cash payment, mumbling some thing to do with Covid. My mother when querying this, pointed out that they were still accepting cash for payment for goods, so what was the difference? No logical response was given.  She has now written to complain to Debenhams as there has been no update to the paying slip she receives monthly with this infromation. She is convinced that they are pushing her towards paying online which she is uncomfortable in doing. As a result she has decided to no longer shop with them using their points/store card and is closing the account. Had anyone else had any similar issues? 

Sounds like a sensible thing to be doing to avoid people coming into the shop unnecessarily to pay off her card, even more sensible when you mother is at an age which substantially increases her risk of death if she contracts Covid19. 
    She doesn't need to pay online because she can use telephone banking instead.
  • Just get your mum (you assist her if necessary) to set up a DD with her bank to clear the Debenhams card each month.

(I'm "only" 62 and I avoid on-line banking and mobile banking apps* like the plague so I understand your mum's reluctance.  I'd be happy with telephone banking though).

*Apparently I have no choice as one needs a device known as a "smart telephone".
  • Socajam
    Socajam Posts: 1,238 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    My friend who lives in the States, was telling me that her usual grocery stores like Whole Foods and Trader Joe's stopped taking cash since April.
    All payments are made my card - they do not want their staff to become infected - which is very understandable.
  • Just get your mum (you assist her if necessary) to set up a DD with her bank to clear the Debenhams card each month.

(I'm "only" 62 and I avoid on-line banking and mobile banking apps* like the plague so I understand your mum's reluctance.  I'd be happy with telephone banking though).

*Apparently I have no choice as one needs a device known as a "smart telephone".
    I had such an argument with my mum at the start of lockdown because she was trying to figure out a way of how she could pay bills bearing in mind and she hasn't got internet banking.

In the end I paid them from my account & she gave me a cheque for the total amount (thank goodness for the cheque deposit facility on my app!) 

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback