Direct Line Car Insurance Price Hike?

edited 29 July at 2:50PM in Insurance & Life Assurance
12 replies 221 views
18821882 Forumite
413 posts
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
✭✭
edited 29 July at 2:50PM in Insurance & Life Assurance
Just had my Direct Line car insurance renewal in and despite no claims or change in circumstance it's jumped up by 43%. I've been with them a few years now and never renewed without looking around first and they were always competitive. I even got  (a relatively measly £10) Covid related refund a few months ago.
I'm tempted to call to ask them why. Surely they're not doing similar to everyone, otherwise they'd lose a lot of customers.

Replies

• SandtreeSandtree Forumite
    1.5K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Have you shopped around to see if its still competitive or not?

It is unlikely that they will disclose which rating factors have moved material or if its just the floor etc. At the end of the day Motor insurance is compulsory and there isnt that much point stressing over the why as much as shopping around to get the best deal for you. 
  • 18821882 Forumite
    413 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    Just shopped around and bought LV cover at half the price and some cashback on top too.
  • SandtreeSandtree Forumite
    1.5K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Unless you get into my situation, where there is only one or two insurers that will quote for my Home insurance, shop around and go with whoever is best value... whilst academically interesting why premiums move each year you ultimately wont change them if you disagree with the logic so just find best value at each renewal. And remember to tell your old insurers to lapse the policy!
  • dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    102.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm tempted to call to ask them why. 

They wont know why.  They don't tell their call centre staff how they price or who they do or do not want.

I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • angrycrowangrycrow Forumite
    902 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    The trick is to do comparison quotes three weeks before renewal date which will give the lowest price possible. Then phone Direct Line a couple of days before renewal armed with the lowest two like for like quotes and ask them nicely for their best price. I have managed to get them to reduce it on both our cars year on year. Last week got them to knock £80 off which was about 18% off the renewal price.
  • csgohan4csgohan4 Forumite
    8.6K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    my renewal with direct line was cheaper than last year, sometimes it could be the area you are and higher claims
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ PIxie RIP
  • edited 30 July at 8:36AM
    DCFC79DCFC79 Forumite
    39.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 July at 8:36AM
    1882 said:
    Just shopped around and bought LV cover at half the price and some cashback on top too.
    I would have spoke to DL and tell them you have a quote thats identical but cheaper, could they do anything on the price.

• edited 30 July at 11:45AM
    cajefcajef Forumite
    5.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 July at 11:45AM
    DCFC79 said:
    1882 said:
    I would have spoke to DL and tell them you have a quote thats identical but cheaper, could they do anything on the price.
    That is what I always do but this year my DL renewal last month was slightly cheaper than last year and was cheaper than any other quotes.
    I used to have a handle on life, but it broke. :|
  • Ditzy_MitzyDitzy_Mitzy Forumite
    361 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭
    I had something similar with Bell Direct.  I was with them for years, the premiums were reasonable and fairly consistent and the service, the few times I needed it, was good.  Then, a couple of years ago, Bell provided a grossly overpriced renewal quote.  I shopped around and found that Direct Line, oddly enough, was able to offer insurance at a far more competitive rate; cheaper, in fact, than the previous year's Bell Direct policy.
    I arranged cover with Direct Line and then telephoned Bell to cancel the automatic renewal.  Funnily enough the operator I spoke to went into panic mode upon seeing that a client of five or six years was poised to depart.  I was transferred to Retentions, where a man assured me that he 'would do whatever was possible' and provided me with an alternative quote that was competitive with Direct Line.  Quelle surprise.  
    I politely turned down Bell's new quote and stuck with Direct Line, as it was easier than cancelling the policy of theirs already set up.  
    It's possible these companies give you a few years of competitive renewals and then, if these are taken up via automatic renewal, mark you down as a sort of zombie client who doesn't check his/her paperwork.  Then, with that in mind, they apply a skyjack to the premium in year four or five.  Maybe they get a few through on that basis, but surely it also causes good clients to leave.
  • janze1janze1 Forumite
    1 posts
    Seventh Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Should we pay for a green card to go to France. I am with Direct Line and they charged £33 for 10 days abroad