Joint account for newlyweds

Hi everyone. My partner and I want to open a joint account, we will be looking to save around £1000 a month, maybe jut less. We want instant access to our money when needed. What is the best account to open and can we open it online. 

Comments

• Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,022 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    If you want easy access then best current offers are from NS & I - income bonds;direct saver and premium bonds.
    However not strictly instant access as they can be a bit slow . 
  • steampowered
    steampowered Posts: 6,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If you are not homeowners do consider opening a Lifetime ISA as well. It doesn't meet the criteria for "easy access" but could give you a nice bonus if you decide to use the money you save into it to buy a home together.
  • SFindlay
    SFindlay Posts: 389 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    JoK42 said:
    Hi everyone. My partner and I want to open a joint account, we will be looking to save around £1000 a month, maybe jut less. We want instant access to our money when needed. What is the best account to open and can we open it online. 
    Might sound strange but best option may be to open current accounts and regular savers rather than savings account. Obviously all depends on your provider at the moment but you can open single and joint accounts with some of them. If you  join Quidco and open TSB account can get £50 cashback and it will give you 1.5% on first £1500 (so could earn 1.5% on 2 single and a joint account). 
    Nationwide still give 2% I think on £1500 for  first year and again you could open a sole account each and a joint. 
    Then there's virgin current account which again I think is 2% on £1000.
    Then look at some of the monthly regular savers that allow immediate access without penalty likes of virgin, Halifax, TSB, Lloyds and others who pay between 1 and 1.5%.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback