New Post Advanced Search

ESA - change of address

4 replies 111 views
my brother Receives ESA.  Not sure if he gets SDP or EDP.  I know he gets an enhanced rate.  Also receives PIP.  He is thinking about moving to a smaller house as cannot manage where he lives now.  He is worried that he will have to change to UC.  Will he be able to remain on ESA if he reports a change of address?  Thank you x

Replies

• poppy12345poppy12345 Forumite
    10.2K posts
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You haven't given enough of information for anyone to answer your question.
    Enhanced rate for both? I assume you mean PIP?
    Is his ESA New style ESA/Contributions based or Income Related? If you don't know, how much does he receive each week? We may know from this, which one he's claiming.
    Does he live alone or with another adult? If he lives with another adult, do all those he lives with claim a qualifying benefit such as PIP daily living, DLA mid/high rate care or Attendance Allowance?
    Does anyone claim carers allowance or the carers element of Universal Credit for looking after him?

• calcotticalcotti Forumite
    8.9K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    my brother Receives ESA.  Not sure if he gets SDP or EDP.  I know he gets an enhanced rate.  Also receives PIP.  He is thinking about moving to a smaller house as cannot manage where he lives now.  He is worried that he will have to change to UC.  Will he be able to remain on ESA if he reports a change of address?  Thank you x
    As poppy says it's not clear exactly what your brother gets. However changing address will not affect ESA or PIP but does need to be reported to DWP. If he gets Housing Benefit he can move address within the same local authority and maintain his existing Housing Benefit claim. If he moves to a new local authority any existing Housing Benefit claim will end and he will not be able to make a new one unless his existing benefits include a Severe Disability premium and he would still be entitled to it after the move. If he needs help with rent and has lost Housing Benefit then he would need to claim UC which would end any entitlement to income based ESA (but not contribution based ESA).

If you want a clearer answer you need to provide more information as highlighted by poppy.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • JAYNIE1966JAYNIE1966 Forumite
    2 posts
    First Post
    Thanks for the advice.  My brother gets ESA IB.  He lives alone in his own property (fortunately the mortgage is fully paid) - no housing costs. I don’t know how much exactly he gets but do know he gets ESA IB +either EDP or SDP.  He also receives the lower rate PIP care. In this case would he remain on ESA if he moved - it would be within the same council district.  Thank you 
  • calcotticalcotti Forumite
    8.9K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the advice.  My brother gets ESA IB.  He lives alone in his own property (fortunately the mortgage is fully paid) - no housing costs. I don’t know how much exactly he gets but do know he gets ESA IB +either EDP or SDP.  He also receives the lower rate PIP care. In this case would he remain on ESA if he moved - it would be within the same council district.  Thank you 
    As Housing Benefit is not an issue he will stay on ESA regardless of where he moves to and regardless of whether or not he gets the SDP.
    If he gets Daily Living part of PIP, lives alone and nobody claims Carer’s Allowance for looking after him then he is entitled to the SDP and should request it if he is not getting it.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.