CIF@S marker help

Options
Hi all,
I am posting on behalf of a friend who is too worried to post herself. Bank account got closed, I advised her to check CIF@S as per all the stories we hear on this forum.

A CIF@S cat4 marker has come back, for 'application fraud'. I advised her to do a SAR to the lender in question and I had a look at the info they sent her. It's all the previous communications, agreements etc but nothing that mentions any issues or any CIF@S entries or anything like that.

If she makes a complaint to them, as she has no idea why they've placed the marker, should they remove it? Shouldn't all the information they hold on you be given in the SAR request? In the request she specifically asked for details of anything related to CIF@S or anything reported about her to them, but nothing is there!!

As you can imagine she is stressed and worried and doesn't know how to approach the complaint to the lender, and to be honest I am not sure what to advise her.

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,378 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If she makes a complaint to them, as she has no idea why they've placed the marker, should they remove it?

Has she made any potentially fraudulent applications to that bank?  or any applications recently?

I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Ed-1
    Ed-1 Posts: 3,892 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi all,
    I am posting on behalf of a friend who is too worried to post herself. Bank account got closed, I advised her to check CIF@S as per all the stories we hear on this forum.

A CIF@S cat4 marker has come back, for 'application fraud'. I advised her to do a SAR to the lender in question and I had a look at the info they sent her. It's all the previous communications, agreements etc but nothing that mentions any issues or any CIF@S entries or anything like that.

If she makes a complaint to them, as she has no idea why they've placed the marker, should they remove it? Shouldn't all the information they hold on you be given in the SAR request? In the request she specifically asked for details of anything related to CIF@S or anything reported about her to them, but nothing is there!!

As you can imagine she is stressed and worried and doesn't know how to approach the complaint to the lender, and to be honest I am not sure what to advise her.
    Was it in relation to a mortgage application? Which lender? The CIFAS SAR should have a reason for the marker.
  • DebtHurricane
    Options
    She said she had numerous loans from the lender, but hasn't told me which lender this is. It's a loan company though. As far as she has told me she definitely hasn't made any fraudulent applications (she's quite a trustworthy friend so I can't imagine anything untoward here). 
    Will check what the SAR from CIF@S actually said but I think it just said @pplication fraud without giving specifics.
    I thought if this lender is reporting info about her to fraud prevention agencies that they should legally have to disclose this in a DSAR?
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,062 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    A type 4 marker from CIFAS relates specifically to application fraud resulting in the facility being refused, so she should be aware of which application this relates to - if she's had numerous loans from this company then it's presumably possible that at some point she's provided erroneous data to them, perhaps inadvertently, if they've taken this action?

I'd agree that the lender SAR should refer to the CIFAS referral though, so if it doesn't then she should go back to them seeking further details, involving their data controller if necessary - they may cite crime prevention reasons why they can't disclose as much as she'd want them to, but they should at least be able to confirm that they did refer her to CIFAS.

They'll also have a published complaints policy and ultimately there's the ombudsman, so there are a few avenues open to her.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    May be she used too many @ instead of a? Or other special characters?
  • Shakin_Steve
    Shakin_Steve Posts: 2,701 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    colsten said:
    Wow! What a terrible mistake to make! Did you check for smelling mistakes and punctuation too?
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
  • DebtHurricane
    Options
    I only used @ in place of 'a' because I've seen lots of posters on this forum do that to avoid the companies from checking up on individuals or trying to work out who someone is. To protect my friend, as she suffers with mental health issues. Apologies if my misuse of grammar has offended @nyone
  • DebtHurricane
    Options
    The SAR says 'inconsistencies' in applications. But my friend has had many changes in circumstances so I think this would be the reason! She has moved a lot, changed jobs, contact details etc so I'm presuming they're thinking it doesn't add up.  Not sure how she can prove any of that

• burner03
    burner03 Posts: 58 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    colsten said:
    Wow! What a terrible mistake to make! Did you check for smelling mistakes and punctuation too?
    You have no right to attack colsten like this, it is her board after all  :*
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Some of the comments here are testament to people not understanding that mis-spelling, intentional or unintentional, can result in rejection of applications. It is conceivable that persistent use of similar, but not same, information from the same person will be interpreted as application fraud.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback