We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

What’s happening to my bumblies?

ItchyCat
ItchyCat Posts: 50 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
I’m not sure if this is the right forum but I’m hoping some knowledgeable gardeners may be able to explain why the bumble bees in my garden are dying?

I have three massive lavender plants which are abuzz with bumblebees but am getting very distressed at finding lethargic and dying bees clinging to the flowers. I’m hoping this is just nature taking its course and a colony dying off but I’m concerned it’s a bit early in the year for that to happen. I don’t use pesticides in the garden, just a spray of salt and vinegar on the pesky patio weeds.

Does anyone know anything about bumblies?

Comments

• Grenage
    Grenage Posts: 2,899 Forumite
    I have seen plenty of dead bumblebees around, but I often do in summer.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Do any of your neighbours use pesticides?  The bees won't only be visiting your garden. 
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,217 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Salt & vinegar are surely just as toxic to wildlife?
    However could the bees be "drunk" on fermenting nectar?
    I know some creatures get accidentally tipsy on fermenting fruit such as apples / pears
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • ItchyCat
    I can only vouch for my immediate neighbours not using pesticides. I did wonder about the salt and vinegar, but I only spray the leaves of any weeds that pop up through the paving slabs so I don’t think that could be harming the bees. That said, it kills the weeds and the ants aren’t keen on it either! 

I realise there is nothing I can do if this is just the end of the bumblebees natural life cycle. I was just wondering if this was a time of year for them to die off, or whether I should be concerned that something is killing them as opposed to just being sad that they’re dying.

Thank you for your responses.
  • Missy79
    Missy79 Posts: 217 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Bumble bees live for an average of about 4 weeks (and as little as 2 in some cases) depending on the type of bee so it would be normal to see dead bees throughout the year. If you're still seeing plenty of live bees I wouldn't worry too much although I hate seeing them walking around in their old age too!
  • ItchyCat
    Thank you for that Missy79...I didn’t realise they had such a short lifespan. 

Yes, still loads of lively bees and surprisingly no lethargic ones left behind this evening, which I’m really pleased about! 
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,549 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic

It's been low light and the July gap for flowers. Maybe in the recent cold and wet there isn't as much nectar produced and they are getting tired, not enough nectar.
    By circumstance this year I have 3 sorts of lavender. Hidcote, French without the petals on top and Old English from an old source. Solitary bees like the Old English, the  French attracts Bumble Bees and honey bees the dwarf Hidcote.
    Sunshine next few days may change things and nectar production increase. It will be interesting to observe.
    I read that an aging bumble has ragged wings and hair loss.

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• twopenny said:

It's been low light and the July gap for flowers. Maybe in the recent cold and wet there isn't as much nectar produced and they are getting tired, not enough nectar.
    By circumstance this year I have 3 sorts of lavender. Hidcote, French without the petals on top and Old English from an old source. Solitary bees like the Old English, the  French attracts Bumble Bees and honey bees the dwarf Hidcote.
    Sunshine next few days may change things and nectar production increase. It will be interesting to observe.
    I read that an aging bumble has ragged wings and hair loss.

Here's a photo that I took last week of a very old bumble - can confirm the hair loss! It was on this thistle for over an hour. 
  • ItchyCat
    What a wonderful photo! 

All my bees have furry bottoms so I don’t think they are old. There’s a good variety of white,  red and yellow tails. And I have come up with a theory which may or may not be a possible cause ... 

Occasionally I hear little thuds on the window...not loud enough to be a bird, but definitely the sound of something hitting it. Today I saw a bumblebee bounce off the window! The lavender is only about 3 feet away... I wonder if it’s possible it is stunned bees I’ve been seeing? I may be way off the mark but I can’t see that a bumble is designed to fare well in a head on collision with a solid sheet of glass...
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,549 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Perhaps they've just got a headache.

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts