Voluntary Redundancy

Options
I’ve been with current employer 16 years part time for the last 9 years between having two children
I was called to a meeting yesterday & offered VR with a standard package & an extra payment length or service & commitment which I will only receive if I take up the VR offer
I won’t be required to work my notice period which is 12 weeks & will remain on furlough but at 100% rather than the 80% currently on
I feel I have no option but to take up this offer.
I have a few questions am I technically still employed for the next 12 weeks by the company as:

This could affect my daughters age 3 nursery funding?
If I get another job within these 12 weeks what happens? 
I’m sure I will have more questions! 

Comments

• sharpe106
    sharpe106 Posts: 3,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If they are keeping you on furlough then you are still employed by them. 
    If you get another job then you will need to discuss it with them, although as they want rid of you I doubt they will care. I would discuss it with them before accepting the VR and state if you get another job you want to be able to start straight away. 
  • Bungle5393
    Bungle5393 Posts: 56 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I would tread carefully with the 2nd job piece - check your contract of employment as there may be a clause in this which stops you from taking up additional employment without written consent. If you start another job, they could try to use this to reduce your notice period, arguing that you've resigned and are giving them less notice because you're starting another job.
    Communication is key - ask them the question 'what if' and make sure you get the response in writing / email either from your line manager or HR, and make sure the answer is definitive.
  • ronnie1234
    ronnie1234 Posts: 35 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

The nursery funding is starting again in Wales

It looks like I’m getting my 12 weeks notice paid in one go but employment terminates 23rd October 

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback