Redundancy - being asked to sign contract of employment as never had one....why?

My husband has worked for his employer for 15 years and has never had a formal written contract of employment, just a one page letter of introduction to the company received on day one which just specified rate of pay and basic hours. 
He has just learnt that he is going to be made redundant (we knew it was on the cards) with notice to start from next week. His employer told him verbally that he will be sending him a standard contract of employment which he has requested he sign and return. 
Concerned as to why he is being asked to do this now when on the verge of leaving.....why would his employer be doing this.....and what if husband refuses to sign. 
Will be reading it through very carefully when received and take advice before agreeing to anything but just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on this...

.......our current inclination is not to sign it as may override any implied conditions as demonstrated by what has actually happened over the past 15 years.....would it be safer for my husband not to sign.....

Any advice appreciated, thank you

Comments

• sharpe106
    sharpe106 Posts: 3,559
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Probably pretty pointless now anyway, I doubt the contract will have anything beneficial in it and a contract can't reduce from statutory minimum. Which from reading your other posts is probably all your husband was going to get anyway. 

Nothing to lose from signing it (providing the start date etc are correct) but probably nothing to gain either. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback