New Post Advanced Search

Housing allowance UC

2 replies 181 views
Hi I have been accepted for UC and my housing allowance doesn't cover the cost of my full rent. After speaking with the money advisor he has advised that I set up my claim wrong for UC and selected private landlord instead of housing association because the company I rent from is a housing association. I have spoken with UC and advised I put this down wrong and they have updated it but still believe the housing element of IC is correct as its based on local housing allowance for this postcode. My money advisor has said that if you rent from housing association UC will cover the full rent amount. I am going round in circles with UC and nobody there seems to understand what the issue is. 
Is there anything you guys could suggest to help me get this sorted.

Replies

• edited 27 July at 3:54PM
    calcotticalcotti Forumite
    8.9K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 27 July at 3:54PM
    If your landlord is a housing association the the housing element is not based on the Local Housing Allowance. It will pay your rent in full unless you have spare bedroom(s) in which case you will be expected to pay some of the rent yourself.
    If UC are clear that your landlord is a housing association but are using LHA ring them to question this.
    Did you show UC your tenancy agreement? Do you have any spare bedrooms?

Once UC is sorted if the housing element doesn't cover the rent in full you can apply to your local authority for a Discretionary Housing Payment. If awarded this ca cover the shortfall but will be for a limited period as local authority would expect you to try and reduce your housing costs if you can't afford them.

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • indigoblue11indigoblue11 Forumite
    27 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Thanks for the reply! I think im getting somewhere now I've just been asked to resubmit my housing details and they will review. I am positive it will get sorted but appreciate your points.